Administrator
GT 2.0 JTS
5,162 Posts
Welcome to the forum, I don't if it will.:rolleyes:

Do a forum search and see if it has been discussed before.:thumbs:

·
Vendor
45,756 Posts
I've sent a 156 2.5 V6 box to the states before to go in a 164, not sure if it was 12v or 24v or if it matters.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks for the replies. Where is that 166 in the US???? Used to have a 166 when I was in the UK...can only dream about them in the US. My US car is a 12V 164S (Cloverleaf) and I may get another one but I'd sure like to have a 6-speed for it. I think the logical source is the UK; shipping will probably kill me but I at least need to look into it. Anyone know of one available? There was a Paul on this list that said he was breaking his 166 but I can't get him to return email..... Got one, Dan?

·
Registered
10,889 Posts
Thanks for the replies. Where is that 166 in the US???? Used to have a 166 when I was in the UK...can only dream about them in the US. My US car is a 12V 164S (Super) and I may get another one but I'd sure like to have a 6-speed for it. I think the logical source is the UK; shipping will probably kill me but I at least need to look into it. Anyone know of one available? There was a Paul on this list that said he was breaking his 166 but I can't get him to return email..... Got one, Dan?
here's the jackanory Alpo

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-164-and-166/181596-new-166-owner-questions-from-usa.html?highlight=166+USA

Night Night from me.

Pomeo

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
The box will fit the engine fine, but you will need to alter gear linkages as the 6 speed is cable shift, and the gearbox end engine mount as well, the 6 speed doesn't have one on the end of the casing like the 164 box. You might also need to change the clutch release mechanism depending on what you have in the 164. The 6 speed box has a pull-release setup. You can mix & match the bits from a push-release to get it working.

The 6 speed also lacks the drive gear and machining in the diff casing for the speedo sender in the 164. All surmountable with a bit of work but not a simple bolt-in job.

I fitted a 6 speed GTA box in a car with a 12v 164 engine & box setup. It wasn't a 164 mind, so in some ways was easier to deal with.

HTH

·
Vendor
45,756 Posts
Thanks for the replies. Where is that 166 in the US???? Used to have a 166 when I was in the UK...can only dream about them in the US. My US car is a 12V 164S (Super) and I may get another one but I'd sure like to have a 6-speed for it. I think the logical source is the UK; shipping will probably kill me but I at least need to look into it. Anyone know of one available? There was a Paul on this list that said he was breaking his 166 but I can't get him to return email..... Got one, Dan?
I've got most boxes, 166 2.5 5-speed, 166 2.5 6-speed, 166 3 litre 6-speed, 156 2.5 6-speed, 156 3.2 6-speed, not sure which would be best for you. Is a 166 box more of a straight fit in a 164? Are the 164s like the 166 up front, no inner wings and a big square subframe that the engine and box bolt down onto? If this is the case it may be easier to start with a 166 box than a 156 box.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, ChrisS and Pud. Great info there. If I remember correctly, my 164S also has a pull-release clutch. Guess I'd need a cable shifter setup, too. More involved than I thought it would be! End mount shouldn't be too hard but the speedo sensor is an issue.....what I need is a 156 or 166 in the US!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts