Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning all.

Last night I had to pop out for some Doritos (Cool) and a bottle of Fanta (dont ask).

And whilst I was doodling towards my local ASDA, 3 traffic police cars were on the side of the road parked up with rear reds flashing.

Car 1 - BMW 330d SE
Car 2 - Audi A4 3.0 TDI Quattro
Car 3 - Volvo V70 T6

(yea I did a loop around the roundabout to be nosey)

Now I am thinking "Oh my god" how much did I and the rest of the nation just pay for them, then I thought hang on, what about road tax, tyres, main dealer servicing, having the stickers, lights, ANPR, cams etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc installed, how much does all that cost.

Granted they look superb and I wouldnt even like to tempt fate and speed past one as they have pace that I couldnt match but they do look rather bling.

And such brands like BMW & Audi arent exactly budget spec vehicles.

Enlighten me :)

PW:thumbs:

·
Registered
44,882 Posts
They have to have the tools to do the job, if criminals have Scoobys then the Police need something equal to or faster. I can't imagine them chasing down serious criminals in a high powered BMW when the Police are in Astra diseasels. :lol:

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Don't think they pay VED. They are usually poverty spec inside. I have had the displeasure of sitting in police cars once or twice. One was a Cavalier GSI 4x4 which had junior rep spec cloth seats.

You may notice they've moved to silver cars to boost the resale values. Ultimately, as stated above, they need the tools to do the job in the same way that professional mechanics buy their gear from snap-on or Mac rather than poundland.

·
Registered
29,280 Posts
saw an unmarked hyundai i30 pulling someone over on the east lancs road last week. greater manchester police - budget evidently all gone on the X5's they bought to look macho on the motorway

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
They get the cars a lot cheaper than you and I...:)
It would certainly be interesting to know how much cheaper :p

It is impressive to see how hunkered down they are yet still manage to shift.

What kit do they carry on board? E.G. cones, brush etc?

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
saw an unmarked hyundai i30 pulling someone over on the east lancs road last week. greater manchester police - budget evidently all gone on the X5's they bought to look macho on the motorway
I know we have an Audi Q7, apparently its on Trial and has been for about a 12month, seems a bit long hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

But still why on earth justifies a Q7???

·
Registered
22,761 Posts
They're much cheaper than running a helicopter.

Air Ambulances require funding and some of this comes from donations and events to Support Your Local Air Ambulance,

yet,

the Police chopper doesn't need such extra funding or even promotion.....Discuss.

https://nwaa.net/

·
Registered
4,191 Posts
I'd also wager that by going for more 'premium' brands such as BMW Audi and Volvo the cars withstand the abuse better than the throwaway ford and vauxhall stuff they used to use. Total dust to dust ownership cost is probably not much different.

·
Registered
22,761 Posts
There's a used car dealer around the corner from me,

XP Car Sales,

lots of white/silver Skodas/Astras/5 Series and Range Rovers.

At least they're not hiding the fact.

Top spec mechanics with low rent equipment.

·
Regional Support North, Is there a meet near you?
63,489 Posts
My last workplace had a Volvo V70 T6 in that was a retired police car, it had almost every gadget on it you can think of and plenty of holes in the dashboard

·
Registered
76 Posts
Down in Bristol they have, what i believe, about 5-6 BMW 535 tourings and a few X5's as well... All nicely blacked out...

Although speaking to a cabby in York, he says he once saw a ROVER 25 as an unmarked car pulling over people... Not sure what you could catch with a 25... Apart from boredom and rust...

1 - 20 of 39 Posts