Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just got a No Admission Of Guilt warrant of arrest for two weeks ago when I went to Vredendal. Doing 150 in a 100 zone close to Clanwilliam. Two things bother me:

my car is licensed as a sedan yet the fine claims it to be a hatchback.
The picture also does not clearly define my car (it is overlapped by a trailer of some sort).

Can I ask them to stuff it?:confused:

https://www.viewfines.net/notice.aspx?l=t&noticenumber=2078545813157923

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
think you would do better to go the route of:

> Camera/Unit Calibration in date
> Operator Qualification on specific model
> Signboards in the area notifying you of speed enforecement in operation

Was it a permanent unit on a pole (with lines on the road) or a laser/radar unit?

For laser/radar there is a minimum distance applicable from the next vehicle for the fine to be valid.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Pretty sure the trailer is an obstruction and they need a full picture of the car.
100% Agreed! That looks very dubious. How can they get an accurate reading from the other side of the road with traffic passing between the camera and your car. I'd goto court and challenge it

·
Registered
4,740 Posts
add 2 more "licence discs" to your left window, they can be parking permits or something, then go to court and say that it isn't you. or your car, but someone who has copied your number plate. draw attention to sedan/hackback error. that worked for a "friend" of mine already...

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The reason why I ask is because of point 2 here:

Handheld Speed Trap Requirements - The AA of South Africa

I know the cops in the area. They will fabricate training certificates if they do not have, as well as calibration certificates so it is of no use argueing nthat point. but if the evidence is in contradiction with a legal point as shown in the attachment then i will have a better case?:confused:

The particular statement:

"2. GUIDELINES FOR PROSECUTION WITH REGARD TO SPEED MEASUREMENTS BY LASER EQUIPMENT
When selecting a site for a speed measurement exercise, the operator must have a clear and uninterrupted view of the road and the vehicle measured for the duration of the measurement."

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Also see point 3.3 (b) on this website: Arrive Alive South Africa | Prosecuting Guidelines for Speed Measuring Equipment

3.3. Manual operational procedures - the following must be adhered to whilst operating the equipment -

(a) that no measurement is locked beyond 500 metres;

(b) when viewed from the SME there must be a clear, visible separation between the vehicle target and any other visible vehicle;

(c) the measured distance mentioned in 3.3(a) must be recorded on the charge sheet, if no photographic evidence is available.
- See more at: Arrive Alive South Africa | Prosecuting Guidelines for Speed Measuring Equipment

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
The reason why I ask is because of point 2 here:

Handheld Speed Trap Requirements - The AA of South Africa

"2. GUIDELINES FOR PROSECUTION WITH REGARD TO SPEED MEASUREMENTS BY LASER EQUIPMENT
When selecting a site for a speed measurement exercise, the operator must have a clear and uninterrupted view of the road and the vehicle measured for the duration of the measurement."
More importantly point 1:
There shall be no large, stationary, or metal objects (e.g. patrol vehicle, bus shelter) within a radius of 50 metres in front of the radar SME.
There shall be no metal road signs or vertical flat surfaces within fifteen (15) degrees on either side of the aiming direction, within a distance of 200 metres of the antenna.
The equipment may only be used where there is a clear view, any obstruction taken into account, within 45 degrees of the direction of aim over a distance of 600 metres.

Clearly this indicates the laser cannot work properly with large metal objects obscuring measurements - that HUGE ASS truck clearly influenced measurements in this case...

What happened here is that the laser was pointing to the truck then jumped over to your car, thus measuring the "150km/h differential" between your car and the truck - it is not your true speed - it is the differential...

·
Registered
878 Posts
Am I missing the obvious question? Were you speeding? If you weren't, then clearly you should fight it, but....

I am a firm believer we get what we deserve... I constantly hear people complaining about the judicial system and police in South Africa. That criticism may be warranted, but if you cheat the system...expect it to cheat you. That is what corruption is all about.

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
The problem in South Africa is that 'Everyone's equal but some are more equal than others!'
When is the law going to be applied equally to all and sundry?

·
Registered
938 Posts
in my case it was 4 in the morning on my way on holiday driving on a road with no light and no sign, so i thought i was out of roberson but not and the other day a cop sat before the 100 sign and got me going 120 before the 100 sign, driving on holiday the speed kept changing 60 80 100 all speeds on roads entering the town and the first sign u see is the one on the camera and the other speed signs is half the size of stop sign, new roads are designed so that u dont know or unsure of the speed limit just to catch u driving to fast

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
in my case it was 4 in the morning on my way on holiday driving on a road with no light and no sign, so i thought i was out of roberson but not and the other day a cop sat before the 100 sign and got me going 120 before the 100 sign, driving on holiday the speed kept changing 60 80 100 all speeds on roads entering the town and the first sign u see is the one on the camera and the other speed signs is half the size of stop sign, new roads are designed so that u dont know or unsure of the speed limit just to catch u driving to fast
Just a ploy to fleece us off our money while the real menaces are allowed to blatantly violate laws in front of the metro police! I've witnessed this. The cops are scared the motoring menace would protest by blockading roads. This is the new meaning of 'democracy.' I'm all for laws and the police but I hate double standards!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts