Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just received a trade in value of R105 000 from Subaru Culemborg for my 2011 Giulietta QV.

Cant believe how low that is!!!

Any of you out there also get ridiculous trade in offer?

Regards

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
Yeah they always want to lowball the crap out of you. My friends mito 09 distinctive trades for 110. One dealer offered 50grand the other 20grand and the other 70grand. Eventually best he got was 80grand

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
I'm curious - how is trade value calculated? Is it based on what vehicles sell for when they actually sell or is it probability-weighted as well?

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts
My olld mantra, if the dealer does not give me my price, I walk away.... eventually someone will give me my price and he will get my business.... I have never been desperate to sell a car, especially not an Alfa

Reactions: Ian Lusso

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
I'm curious - how is trade value calculated? Is it based on what vehicles sell for when they actually sell or is it probability-weighted as well?
Yes. This. Id love to know also

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk

·
Registered
343 Posts
Yes. They put the car on a database where all dealers can view and give an offer for the car. It's a guaranteed price they can sell the car for. Eliminates their risk of sitting with a cars that won't sell. Not just Alfa...take the Subaru you want to buy round to a dealer close by and see what they would offer vs. the selling price....

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
That is ridiculous, I traded my 2011 GQV for R180k last year. Don't tell me it dropped R75000 in a year.:paperbag:

·
Registered
204 Posts
Supply and demand coupled with the general second hand car salesman lack of knowledge of non-main stream cars causes low offers when we want to trade in. Same issue in the financial markets. An unknown company's shares will trade at lower values when measured using pe ratios than the top 40.

We will always be entered off selling privately to other enthusiasts.

I was offered R120k for my 3.2 159 with less than 40,000kms on the odo. Still under service plan. Guess I'll be riviera get it a couple more years.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Yes. They put the car on a database where all dealers can view and give an offer for the car. It's a guaranteed price they can sell the car for. Eliminates their risk of sitting with a cars that won't sell. Not just Alfa...take the Subaru you want to buy round to a dealer close by and see what they would offer vs. the selling price....
This is my experience too - trade-in goes onto a dealer network 'auction site' and they offer what they are guaranteed to get. Your odds are generally bad trading an Alfa to begin with, get poorer when you are trading in Alfa to a different brand/franchise for a different brand car. Your chances get better when trading in to an Alfa/Fiat franchise (by how much depends on a variety of things). In 2009 I traded in my better half's 2005 facelift Sportwagon V6 for a demo Disco 3 - got R90k for a car with 54k on the clock - it was immaculate. Outright theft (Chatz bought it and sold it quickly for R140k which about the retail going rate at the time. But we were desperate for a car you could go off road (properly) with. One last thing - add depressed new vehicle sales And you'd think delears have an incentive to offer attractive trade-in prices to close new sales, but no their margins are so squeezed that they are compelled to offer you 'trade' (which they assess via what offers they get on the auction site) to ensure they do not lose too munch margin on the car they are selling. Market forces I am afraid:depressed:

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
Jan 2016 - best trade in when I pushed to get into a new car - R160k on a tuned 2012 GQV with 136000km, granted this car was immaculate in and out.

March 2016 I sell it when For Sale for 2 weeks for R170k privately.

If you owe R150k on your Alfa...sell it privately for R140k neg. Be patient if you have a base spec or normal looking GQV. Under R150k a lot of people are looking at getting into Alfa's as that about R3k/pm so they can play around with that monthly figure.

But buying an Alfa new and expecting a trade value equal to trade or market value is nigh on impossible in SA.

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
|It sure would be nice to get access to this dealer database.

·
Registered
204 Posts
|It sure would be nice to get access to this dealer database.
Make friends with someone at a dealership. Alternatively let them know what you are looking for. They will contact you when a car comes around and they are trying to do a deal with a new customer. Probably be willing to ask what they have to pay just to sell a new car.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts