Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've recently moved from Durban to the 'Vaal - staying in Randburg now.

The wife drives a Tazz & I want her out of it because I think it's quite a high-risk vehicle up here. It has a malicious key scratch on the passenger side back door and the bonnet needs to be replaced as she hit me from behind while I was still driving my Golf. We just banged it straight again, but I reckon it'll need to be replaced if someone wants to buy the car as a good second hand vehicle. Otherwise the car is perfect - it's a black 2006 model with the "sports kit" which adds alloy wheels & a small spoiler & some other trim - done 95000kms.

So - I wanted to know as I'm sure there are many people here more experienced than I in this sort of thing:
Should I sort the bodywork out before taking it for a trade-in? It'll cost me the best part of R10k to sort out - is it worth it, or should I just take a beating in the trade-in value? Will they reduce the trade-in by much more than it's worth?

Ciao.

G

·
Hey, I would say let it go as is. It's not worth the pain of forking over 10k or even more for a vehicle you will not be using anyway. I doubt that you will lose much on the trade-in value as the dealer will re-coup the money 'lost' on getting it touched up by reselling at some ridiculous price. You should get a fair trade-in value for the car though anyway. My two cents worth. Good luck though.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that AR156SA - know any good dealers that'll give me a good trade-in value & a good price on a MiTo demo model!?? :)

G

·
No prob. Unfortunately I do not know of any out in your world, or in mine for that matter, but hopefully the guys on this forum will guide you in the right direction.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Try either Arnold Chatz near Hyde Park or west rand alfa opposite Clearwater mall. Prepare yourself for a butt reaming!

·
Registered
665 Posts
Howdy, I gonna throw in my 2cents worth.

Assuming it is a TAZZ 130 SPORT 06 model, Trade is R49600, Retail is R57100. Taking that a new bonnet from Marouns will be about R800 + R700 to spray, Plus R700 for the door. Total R2200. You not looking at R10k reconditioning. Obviously i'm talking from a dealer point of view, If you take the car somewhere to trade it in they gonna tell you it's practically a write off and give you a crappy price. If the car is as clean as you say (Except for the damage) with 95Km on with a service history, doesn't need tires or a windscreen it would be worth to the trade probably about R39 to R40k.
Now if you going to trade it in on another vehicle the dealer can do a Over Allowance on your Tazz and give you more than R40k. (Over allowance is discount that they give by inflating the price given for a trade in) Obviously the vehicle you buy determines what OA you can get.
For example if you were to buy CLK320 we have here I would pay you R60K for your Tazz, if buying the toyota Yarris I would pay you R40.

If you go somewhere and get offered a deal let me know and I'll tell you if you being ripped off...

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts
Good Advice from AM69 there ! SPend 3 K , get it looking good again, and then trade it in. A damaged car will always fetch very low trade-in prices. I traded in my immaculate 156 and got top money for it (top money for a 156 that is, I still think we are being ripped off with trade-ins if you look at what they re-sell the cars for) No offence AM69.....
If you go to Chatz, speak to Teddy, and tell him I recommended it. He is still a salesman, but he will not completely rip you off (he is still a bit of an old-school car salesman)....

·
Registered
665 Posts
No offence taken, its my boss thats making all the money. The price of R40k I said the car is worth, i got from him. The car would sell on our floor for R59900. After recon and commission for the salesman and the vat being paid to sars you loking at a Nett profit of about R12800. Not huge but also not small change for a R60k car.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks AM69 - that's some useful info there, worth a lot more than 2c :)

Do Marouns only deal with the dealers, or can a pleb like me purchase from them? Is there any place you'd recommend I take it to get the new bonnet fitted & sprayed & the door touched-up in/around Randburg or greater JHB North.

Thanks for the help AM69 & Eric!

Cheers.

·
Registered
665 Posts
You can get the parts from Marouns no problem: The Spares Shoppe 011-216-0600. Or Auto Pannel and Paint 011-873-8111. The 800 i said for the bonnet was what I rememered so if its more dont shoot me..

Our panel beater we use, very good prices decent work quality: Gavin 073-072-869six. I'd recomend him to anyone. He is in JHB south, don't know anybody up north.

G

·
I had a 2002 Audi A3 1.8T. Within 3 days of owning it, someone managed to dent the passenger door as well as the rear fender. Cost to fix was about R3 500. I left it and about 10 months later traded it in for a B*W ... ssssshhh. Lost about 8k on the car. In my mind, that was a worthwhile deal. Purchased for R105 000, traded in for R96k plus some change. The vehicle I traded it in for was a good deal too. Purchased for less than trade! I guess it's an individual's experience.
I do hope you get a good deal though!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts