Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, on Saturday I got stuck on the snow and, to my horror, i coudnt find the traction control boton to turn in off so I had to beg some relatives to push my Veloce out to the tarmac!

Does anyone know how to turn off the TC and where to find the switch ?

·
Registered
886 Posts
No, there isn't. However, when I purposely tested the Giulia's traction control in deep snow; it recognized that, and allowed rear wheels to be spinning with enough speed to get yourself out. Unlike most other traction controls, which just take away all the power when there is no traction and competely refuse to move the wheels.

Could be that snow was to deep to get yourself out of, with or without traction control. Are you using winter tyres?

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
On the Qf, traction control is slackened off when you select Dynamic. I presume it does it on the other models too? What drive mode were you in? Maybe Dynamic would have helped.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No, there isn't. However, when I purposely tested the Giulia's traction control in deep snow; it recognized that, and allowed rear wheels to be spinning with enough speed to get yourself out. Unlike most other traction controls, which just take away all the power when there is no traction and competely refuse to move the wheels.

Could be that snow was to deep to get yourself out of, with or without traction control. Are you using winter tyres?
Yes summer tyres! You are right it was ok on forward manual but my case was on reverse!! It was just horr

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Yes summer tyres! You are right it was ok on forward manual but my case was on reverse!! It was just horr
I didn't have any trouble reversing my Quadrifoglio in a fair amount of snow last winter. Yes, I did have winter tyres on.

I chose to use A thinking that the reduced throttle response and Torque might help.

I had no need to use a shovel to get out of this car park.

Andy

Attachments

·
Registered
887 Posts
Hi all, on Saturday I got stuck on the snow and, to my horror, i coudnt find the traction control boton to turn in off so I had to beg some relatives to push my Veloce out to the tarmac!

Does anyone know how to turn off the TC and where to find the switch ?
no switch unfortunately, but if your car is built before Security Gateways (SGW) were introduced (< ~Feb 2018), then you can buy this thing (not cheap) and plug it into OBD: https://www.squadra-tuning.nl/chiptuning/alfa-romeo/giulia/abstc-off-dongle-3-2/. For cars with SGW it won't work as far as I know.

There is also possible some trick with battery disconnection, can't remember you would need to google for this - the disadvantages are that it only works until next start of the car, locks DNA into N mode nonetheless selection and your trips/clocks reset.

·
Registered
887 Posts
On my testdrive with GIulia Super RWD 200HP I got stuck in 10cm snow with wheels spinning and needed help of 2 people to get out. then one of dilema on which car to buy was gone - I went for Q4, in Poland only available with Veloce 280HP. This winter I tried it on slippy/steep sideroads in deep snow/ice, no problem on either drive or reverse. Very happy to have that.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
On my testdrive with GIulia Super RWD 200HP I got stuck in 10cm snow with wheels spinning and needed help of 2 people to get out. then one of dilema on which car to buy was gone - I went for Q4, in Poland only available with Veloce 280HP. This winter I tried it on slippy/steep sideroads in deep snow/ice, no problem on either drive or reverse. Very happy to have that.
I do have Veloce but no Q4 available in the UK for some reason 😕

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I didn't have any trouble reversing my Quadrifoglio in a fair amount of snow last winter. Yes, I did have winter tyres on.

I chose to use A thinking that the reduced throttle response and Torque might help.

I had no need to use a shovel to get out of this car park.

Andy
I see, so the only option I have to either trade it with QV or a Stelvio!

·
Registered
886 Posts
If you do not have winter tyres, do not even try expecting anything from summer tyres in the snow - they are completely useless for that - look up comparison tests on youtube between summer and winter tyres on snow, to get the idea. :)

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
I do have Veloce but no Q4 available in the UK for some reason 😕
What mode were you in?
Although I suspect it wouldn't make a lot of difference with summer tyres on.
I tried out Race mode in slushy remains of snow last week. So no traction control but with winter tyres on. It just gripped, no dramas and went where I pointed it. Even provoking it wouldn't get it sliding. You could feel the rear diff keeping it in line.
I'd suggest winter tyres.

·
Registered
5,213 Posts
Reversing in snow is always going to be a problem for a rear wheel drive car. The weight transfer is all wrong. Even worse up hill.
Guess who has to reverse uphill to get out of there drive......... !

·
Registered
295 Posts
Even better - I don´t dare to even mention studs - go for 18" winter tyres - down from 19" or 20". They will sink down in the snow and get you better grip. Not possibel on QF due to brake calipers.

QF owners should, of course, use RACE - no traction control. That also goes for braking in deep snow or on gravel - locked wheels will dig in.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts