Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2.4 JTD SW Veloce is in dire need of the tracking setting up correctly as it is eating tyres!
I have been chatting with Mark_JTD and he has given me some excellent advice (thanks Mark!).
I have had the tracking done many times before but I feel they are setting it to standard each time, which my car is not. After talking with Mark we have fathomed out that the Veloce is about 20mm lower than the standard 2.4 JTD SW. I have also had H&S springs with Bilstein shocks fitted which has dropped the car by another 15mm (so 35mm drop over standard).
I don't suppose anyone would know what settings I can pass on to the garage so they can get the tracking as it should be? I know you can't do a lot with the back but it does have a cam that can be set does it not?

Your help would be greatly appreciated as I am getting fed up of replacing tyres that are only really worn on 1 side!

Thanks in advance,
Andy.

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
The tracking settings for the 156 is to toe in slightly, if you get the garage to put them perfectly straight then I've heard reports that this gives much more even wear ... another thing to consider is how old your bushes etc are? if they are old then this can cause extra tyre wear (because the car doesn't hold the alignment properly)

·
Banned
9,721 Posts
The tracking settings for the 156 is to toe in slightly, if you get the garage to put them perfectly straight then I've heard reports that this gives much more even wear ... another thing to consider is how old your bushes etc are? if they are old then this can cause extra tyre wear (because the car doesn't hold the alignment properly)
Exactly, the tracking should not be tampered with unless you have new wishbones or rear end links fitted, the bushes are the cause for the tyre wear and the more you fiddle trying to line up worn out components the more the symptoms are going to worsen.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had the top bushes replaced last year so they should be ok. However the front left creaks a lot when cold and there is also a noticable 'clunk' when I accelerate slowly and lift off. So I would say that nees replacing.

I am having a great deal of trouble finding somewhere in or around Darlington that can do a 4 wheel alignment. They all say that they match the front wheel alignment to the rear wheels. But if the rear wheels are out due to the lowering then it would be pointless to fork out cash to get the front aligned. All the tyre places I have spoken to are stating that I will need to go to a main dealers to get the rears aligned correctly. I am guessing that won't be cheap :(

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Exactly, the tracking should not be tampered with unless you have new wishbones or rear end links fitted, the bushes are the cause for the tyre wear and the more you fiddle trying to line up worn out components the more the symptoms are going to worsen.
The rear bushes are fine but the tyres are wearing unevenly on the outsides. Surely if i have had the car dropped then the rear isn't set correctly and thus the tyres wear unevenly? Or am I completely off with that?

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
Set the front to 0mm toe
Set the rear to 3mm (0deg27') toe-in

Also make sure your tyre pressures are correct because it is unusual to be getting bad wear on the outside edge...

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the tech fifures David - thats what i was after.

On another note i have found a main dealer in Thornaby that I never knew existed?? Alexanders in Chapel Street. They can the 4 wheel alignment and its not too bad a price at £45 incl VAT.
New tyres tomorrow and then off to get the alignment done a week on Thursday. Question - should I hold off on the new tyres till say a day before the alignment or should I get the tyres now? Was just thinking that new tyres too soon before alignment may not be that wise?

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
Thanks for the tech figures David - thats what i was after.
No problem.

But it is exactly the same answer that is given for EVERY thread on 156 toe settings.
It is a very frequent topic...

·
Premium Member
1,688 Posts
First 10,000 miles in mine I went through 4 sets of front tyres, Michelins @ €150 each, kept wearing the insides, right through to the wire, Alfa dealer kept telling me the tracking was out when they would inspect it, finally had the tracking checked before bringing it to the dealer, it was at the factory recommended setting of -2, but dealer again said it was out, ie., not at -2. Explained that it was giving figure of -2 20 minutes earlier, he went red, got no satisfaction, never been back. Sought advice and recommendation was, as mentioned above, ignore factory settings and set at 0. No probs since, perfect even wear front and back. Just remember to tell anyone that does any work on the car for you that those are the settings you want, last thing you want is your service guy thinking he's doing you a favour by changing it back to -2 and 2 months later you need 2 front tyres.

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
First 10,000 miles in mine I went through 4 sets of front tyres, Michelins @ €150 each, kept wearing the insides, right through to the wire, Alfa dealer kept telling me the tracking was out when they would inspect it, finally had the tracking checked before bringing it to the dealer, it was at the factory recommended setting of -2, but dealer again said it was out, ie., not at -2. Explained that it was giving figure of -2 20 minutes earlier, he went red, got no satisfaction, never been back. Sought advice and recommendation was, as mentioned above, ignore factory settings and set at 0. No probs since, perfect even wear front and back. Just remember to tell anyone that does any work on the car for you that those are the settings you want, last thing you want is your service guy thinking he's doing you a favour by changing it back to -2 and 2 months later you need 2 front tyres.
Except that the "factory" setting isn't "2" (I'm assuming you mean 2mm toe-out". The setting for non Veloce/Sportpack 156 is 1mm toe-out, but 0mm is still recommended though.

Many tracking places have very old data...

·
Premium Member
1,688 Posts
Its a sportpack and and the factory setting, according to the dealer and Alfa themselves, is 2. We don't get the Veloce/Lusso packs that you get in the UK, a 2.4 sportwagon at that time came with the sportpack suspension here, wheter I wanted it or not.

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
Its a sportpack and and the factory setting, according to the dealer and Alfa themselves, is 2. We don't get the Veloce/Lusso packs that you get in the UK, a 2.4 sportwagon at that time came with the sportpack suspension here, wheter I wanted it or not.
Sportpack settings were changed to "0" front toe in mid 1999...!
The Veloce name replaced Sportpack and was also "0" front toe.
"0" is the official factory setting for them.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Big Red, if you don't get no satisfaction, if you can get to Bishop Auckland Im sure one of our lovely students would like to generate evidence on a "real working example", pm me.

Am not touting for business - there would be no charge.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Red, do you mean outer cv joints? if so poss. depending on day of the week, will have to speak to other tutors, my group aint if the workshop for a big enough chunk of time.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah thats the ones Quad - both CV outer boots have perished and I have been told that I have to replace the outer driveshafts :( They aint cheap either :(
The actual CV joints themselves seem fine as no clicking/knocking of any sort but of course they will have dirt in them now and no grease so I suppose its only a matter of time till they die . . .

·
Registered
363 Posts
Might get away wi a good clean, new grease and boots.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Turns out my outer boots were fine - its the inners that are split. Apparantly they don't 'move around' as much so i should be ok - for now. What did need replacing AGAIN were the upper wishbones! SO there went another £200.
Its in at Alexanders todat getting:
1) 4 wheel alignment,
2) indicator relay fitted (its in a really stupid place and needs the airbag disconnecting and steering wheel removing!!)
3) 2 sidelight bulbs fitting,
4) xenon looking at (looks like the ballast has gone so bumper off job)

Not sure how much it will cost but i am sure that my 10% discount will help :D

·
Registered
363 Posts
I wouldn waste the money on 4 wheel if I were you - suspension will need to come to bits doing cv boots and they wont be ok if you leave em - centrifugal force will still throw the graphite grease out and joint will knack. Gotta preventitively maintain.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts