Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there Alfisti,
I would love to hear from guys here who have done trackdays with their 155's.
Advice wrt tire pressures (i have 195/55/15 at the moment), wheel alignment, brake pads, etc would be appreciated.
Also will a move to 16inch black speedlines with 205/45/16 make a worthwhile improvement?

Thanks

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Theres a thread on the alfaowner.com forum under '156' under 'er no officer....' that talks more about this.
(sorry i can't do the URL link thingy)
:cool:

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks.
I had the same experience the previous 3 trackdays: The power steering fluids gets out of the reservoir cap, but I think it is more the constant cornering than the oil actually boiling.
My brakes seem to last about 5 laps of hard driving, or more if I brake a bit earlier.
But the handling is where improve is due. On one occasion I was left behind by a 2000 GTV '73. It was set up correctly for the track, without any special suspension parts, but boy , did it handle!
What can be done to caster, toe, etc? I have already in mind to get that adjustable McPherson bolts to adjust cambers. How about increasing toe out a bit? (My car has Eibach springs with std dampers.) Anybody here ever played around with this stuff yet?

Thanks

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Get some second hand wheels and don't use new tyres as the blocks will fall apart when the heat gets into them. I managed to get a set of wheels and tyres for £30 a corner.

Increase the pressures by 2-3 psi and inspect how far round the tyre it is being scrubbed. using all of the blocks in about right. You might end up with different pressures in each tyre because of the uneven weight distribution of the car.

Dot 5 brake fluid helps, along with not staying out too long max 20 mins per session.

The comment about race pads is right, which is another reason for track wheels, I swap pads back to fast road after a track day. The grooves on the disks make sure the wear is even.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies. My main concern is understeer and the way the front tyres wear. (I have done 3 or 4 trackdays already, with this car, and 2 with the Giulietta.)
Have organized a 80% worn set of pirelli p6000's for the next trackday.
On the firestones I used previously no amount of extra pressure could prevent the tires from "folding" and wearing off the shoulders and sidewalls. As Henry said in another post, choice of tyres is important. I hope the pirelli's are better. They should be anyway.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Hi,

I recognize your experiences and agree with most advices, but after having done all trackdays but the last ones on Eibach's with std shocks I promise you will gain a lot by replacing the std shock for Yellow Konis. Especially the rear ones helps a lot by keeping control of the inner wheel. As I see it a std shock has no chance to keep the inner wheels in and the major problem in cornering is not the compression of the outer suspensions but the expansion of the inner ones. Another problem that unfortunately is hard to solve is the fact that the lowered front suspension givess the wishbone an unfavorable angle that amplifies roll motions.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the advice Andreas.
Do I understand correctly that the aim of the Konis is to have less rebound? Thus to rather lift the inside backwheel than to leave it firmly planted to the road? That should give better turn in and less understeer...
Did a trackday with the old giulietta yesterday. It handless so lovely. It was 2 seconds per lap faster than the 155. But with the understeer solved it might might change in favour of the 155....

·
Registered
177 Posts
Yes, you understood it correctly. When I fitted the Koni's I could make a lap in a roundabout ith screaming bck wheels for the first time ever with my Q4!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts