Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody!
Got my hands on a nice Sprint project, which hopefully will be finished in a year and a half.

First something about me.
So my name is Hector and I live in Sweden, right now I am studying vehicle engineering at the Royal Institute of Technology in Stockholm and planning to take my masters degree in fluid dynamics. I have been a die hard Lancia Delta fanatic all my life and a owner since 2003.

So from thin air I decided to relieve a friend of mine from his planned Sprint endurance racer.

The plan is to build it for the swedish club alfa romeo cup entry level.

Hoping to get lots of ideas and inspiration from you guys and that I can contribute with something too.

On one picture there is a very happy student, that would be me after my first "test drive" and with a bunch of new ideas for the oncoming adventure.

Attachments

K

·
0 Posts
welcome to the friendly corner :thumbs:

be great to follow your progress with the sprint, and 'grale wheels on too, that just for interest or are they going on?

and a sneaky flash of the beauty too, you tease :D

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
welcome to the friendly corner :thumbs:

be great to follow your progress with the sprint, and 'grale wheels on too, that just for interest or are they going on?

and a sneaky flash of the beauty too, you tease :D
The Integrale wheels are going on same style as the standard ones but bigger in all directions.

Teasing?? Who is teasing?? :cool:

K

·
0 Posts
The Integrale wheels are going on same style as the standard ones but bigger in all directions.

Teasing?? Who is teasing?? :cool:
just a glimpse of your integrale :inlove: poking out from under the cover ;) well known fact that one day ONE DAY!!!! :lol: i WILL get around to having one :D

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
just a glimpse of your integrale :inlove: poking out from under the cover ;) well known fact that one day ONE DAY!!!! :lol: i WILL get around to having one :D
It is well worth the wait, no other car that I have driven have felt like the 'grale.

But right now it is sitting in the garage with a broken gearbox. :cry:

hopefully I can bring the sprint to the same condition as the Lancia but race ready.

Attachments

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you lads! :thumbs:
Well a small summary of things that needs too be done.
-Finish the welding on the roll cage.
-Assemble everything
-Make necessary adjustments to the bodywork
-Disassemble it
-Fix some rust that I have found, although the underside is finished it still has some minor rust spots
-Take it too the paint shop
-Assemble and then race :D can't wait.

Parts needed
-Hood and front fenders.
-Personal equipment such as seats, belts helmet etc. (probably the most expensive part of the build)
-All the windows including the windscreen.
-Electrical system
-Tachometre and all the other gauges.

Not much is going to happen with the engine since I want too compete in the entry level, although a 1.7 16v was included in the deal.

I will most likely add more things to this list but that is it for now.

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
Welcome Hector. Your Engineering studies surely will come in handy here;)
I'd like to study the same some time.

I assume your comments about the nitride treatment came from your engineering knowledge.:thumbs:

Love the garage too. Only in my dreams could I have one like that.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Welcome Hector. Your Engineering studies surely will come in handy here;)
I'd like to study the same some time.

I assume your comments about the nitride treatment came from your engineering knowledge.:thumbs:

Love the garage too. Only in my dreams could I have one like that.
Thank you! Hope too contribute with something at least.
The nitride knowledge actually comes from a test conducted on the Swedish Lancia forum.

The garage is an old parking garage in which we rented the bottom floor, not that convenient with asphalt floor and low roof, but it´s warm and dry in the winter, although I see that you don´t have that problem, Uruguay :thumbs:.

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
but it´s warm and dry in the winter, although I see that you don´t have that problem, Uruguay
Always a common misconception unfortunately.
Even though we don't get snow our winters are like British winters. Cold/humid/windy and wet. We are very far south.
Quite a contrast to our summers. This year we had temps up to 39/40 in the shade!!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Always a common misconception unfortunately.
Even though we don't get snow our winters are like British winters. Cold/humid/windy and wet. We are very far south.
Quite a contrast to our summers. This year we had temps up to 39/40 in the shade!!
Sorry thought it would be warmer since Montevideo is at sea level and not up in the mountains

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well it is time to up the thread again.

I have downloaded and read the technical rules for building a race car together with the rules for competing in club alfa romeo challenge. The rules state that if I want to compete in the entry level the car must at least have 6.5 kg/hp. Depending on tires, catalytic converter and other factors you ad or subtract a certain percentage to the standard output of the engine which in my case is ~105 hp. So now I have a weight and tuning goal which I will return to later in thread :D

The process of getting an empty shell has started and on the way some discoveries have been made. The roll cage is not done and need more work than I thought at the beginning It seems that two different people have done the welding, one with a MIG and the other one with a TIG I have attached two pictures of different welds were the difference is quite clear. This leads to that I will have to take the car to a pro welder, but first I have to get it checked by a person from the Swedish subgroup of FIA to see if changes has to be done to the cage.

Although the floor is almost done there is still some rust at several places and the worst place is the left front fender and the A-pillars.

Also got my hands on some "goodies" such as a crossover exhaust manifold and some supposed trofeo front springs. Although I would prefer a complete one off Öhlins set up which a friend is fitting to his sprint.

You will probably hate me for this but I have started to adapt a Integrale steering column to fit the Sprint rack. The good part of it is that I get the steering wheel much closer and it is a momo boss as standard. You will probably see a lot of parts from the Integrale on this Sprint mostly because grale parts have been stacking up during the years, I don't know why though :rolleyes:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
One thing to check with your crossover manifold - are the pipe sizes right for your engine? Ansa (looks like an Ansa one?) did small bore versions for single carb motors which won't work too well with a 105hp motor. Pipes look small in your photo but hard to tell.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
One thing to check with your crossover manifold - are the pipe sizes right for your engine? Ansa (looks like an Ansa one?) did small bore versions for single carb motors which won't work too well with a 105hp motor. Pipes look small in your photo but hard to tell.
Did not reflect on that, thought all were the same. Thank you!

1 - 20 of 48 Posts