Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to start racing, maybe on a competitive nature, but first as a complete novice I shall be going on novice track days at Snetterton or Brands.(in what I'm not sure yet, I'm not trashing my Alfas).
What I would like to know if anybody knows of any informative web sites as to rules regs and what I need to know and do to get in at beginner entry level.
I have looked at appropriate web site for novice days, but I'm unsure of what condition the car should be in.
I intend using/building an MBGgt track car which I would also like to race with.... Any useful sites as to standards I need to meet with the car etc?
On a normal track day, does the car HAVE to have an MOT etc?
Also any advice on which clubs to look at?
Presumably, I'll need a race licence to race at club level?
So much I want to find out..................................................................
Everyone I know just take their road cars.
I want to build the MG, but probably would not be road legal. Very confused currently?
Any no nonsense advice would be more than welcome.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I think I'm able to answer my own question. Been digging deep today, and looks like the BRSCC is going to be the place to be. They have a complete guide on "how to go motor racing" in PDF file, and I'll bury myself in that tonight!

·
Registered
6,630 Posts
To get into racing properly you need an MSA licence. To find out just what's required take a look on the MSA's website http://www.msauk.org/ (down for maintenance right now). You'll need to buy the "Go Racing" starter pack as, to the best of my knowledge, you can't apply for a licence without it. That will include a copy of the infamous "Blue Book" which will give you more information than you need to know on rules & regulations in general; each championship will, in addition, have its own regulations defining what is permitted. It's generally reckoned better to buy a car that's already been race prepared than try to do the work yourself - spend a few evenings ploughing through the regs & you'll understand why! It's also normally much cheaper.

For MG racing look at the MG Car Club & the MG Owners Club websites. There are also several other clubs you can race an MGB with - the Classic Sport Car Club is one of the best.

Find out where the championship/series (there is a difference!) you're interested in is racing, go along to a meeting & chat to drivers - you'll find them very friendly & helpful.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great advice there Dave, many thanks. I am truly familiar with every square inch of an MGBgt, and still have a couple of engines and bits lying about. I had an obsession about them before moving to Alfa.
However, I will look to see exactly what specs are req before ploughing in and building it wrong.
Very helpful advice, and I'm now off to look at the MSA website.(oh yeah it's off currently as you said, I'm a [email protected]).
I really do want a crack on the track and now is the time to take steps to do so.

·
Registered
9,490 Posts
I raced with CSCC (Classic Sports Car Club) for 3 years...the MG would fit best in the Swinging Sixties series. These races are 40 minutes, with a pit-sto, though, partly designed so that people can share if required....when you are old like me 40 minutes is a long time on track ;), but there are plenty of singleton drivers. You've just missed the last race of the season (at Snetterton last weekend).

750MC also run some good race series aimed at clubmen, mainly shorter 15 - 20 minute races.

You need to consider whether you want to do a series that visits a range of circuiyts around the country, or whether you prefer to stick to one or two circuits....up here there are a number of clubs that run Northern based series - I guess there will be similar down South. Don't underestimate the time and cost of schlepping around the country every few weekends - though it can be great fun. Don't forget that whatever you get into racing-wise, you need to budget about £1k for the necessary flame-proof suit and underwear, boots, gloves, and helmet......

Anyway - walking before you run, for trackdays an MOT is not normally required, although obviously the car needs to be at more than minimum MOT standard in respect of brakes / steering / suspension and structural integrity, though some of the more "fussy" issues aren't of such significance.You don't need all the safety wear itemised above, only a helmet, which you can hire - though I'd always prefer my own helmet rather than a hire one - but that's just me.

I'm more than happy to offer any advice and assistance for anyone competing - I'd prefer it if you were in an Alfa, but I'll concede that a B should be pretty well bomb-proof mechanically ;)

Might be worth browsing a few threads on 10-Tenths Motorsport Forum , such as the National & Club racing forum, and the Racer's forum, too.

Oh, and if you go for it, don't forget to wave goodbye to your spare time, sanity, bank balance etc.....'cos it gets under your skin - I've not raced for the last 3 years and its doing my head in!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts