Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve owned my Spider for nearly 3 years now. My routine has been to clean the hood and re-waterproof it a couple of times a year using Autoglym products. Usually the same time as it gets its big clean and I change from summer wax to winter wax and vice versa. When I first got the car, I also treated the hood with Renovo colour restorer. Fast forward three years and it needs another go with the Renovo to get it looking it’s best. Despite a very thorough clean, the waterproofing is still very much doing its thing so the Renovo isn’t soaking in very easily and has dried looking almost shiny and well, a bit crap really. Certainly not as good as the first time. Anybody else had this problem or got any suggestions? With thanks in advance.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Nelly, interesting as I recently "Renovo'd" my roof with the black restorer and water proofer. My hood was perfectly good with no damage or major discoloration, but i felt a nice clean fresh coat of black would do well. Or so I thought.

It actually made it worse and the "shine" shows up imperfections that were not visible before the treatment. Now i am totally underwhelmed by the product and am thinking of other options as even though she doesn't go out if its raining, I know it looks worse.
Cut long story short, i don't know if it the product has changed or maybe I did it wrong, but not had this problem on past roof treatments using other brands. I am seriously considering a new roof now FFS!!!

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Mark... I had a good look at the Renovo website and they say to thoroughly remove any old waterproofing which I didn’t really do. I got really good results last time so I think I’ll try the cleaning bit again.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I have a TF and an F and have read mixed reviews on other sites about the product providing less than satisfactory results, so I have just stuck to the Autoglym soft top reviver/cleaner and reproofer. With the occasional use of Fabsil spray as well which is pretty effective.

·
Registered
7,494 Posts
To get a really good result with Renovo the hood needs to be clean and free of any dirt or water proofing products. Good way to do this is to use Autoglym hood cleaner which is like a shampoo. It's amazing the amount of dirt this removes. Then leave to dry completely and then apply Renovo.

Mark with your hood try the Autoglym cleaning route first. I think you'll find this will sort the problem and with a new coat of Renovo it'll look new again!

·
Registered
695 Posts
Thanks - I was hoping that I had cleaned the old stuff off, but might be another few days of scrubbing and starting again.
Well its not like i'm going far anyway!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts