Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my latest editon of CAR magazine this morning. Good write up on the forthcoming Toyota GT86 (due June 2012).

Stats:

1998cc 16v flat four - [email protected]; 151lb ft at 6600 rpm.
RWD, 6 speed manual.
7.5 sec 0-60
140mph

£25k.

Looks like a belter to me.
Driven: Toyota GT86 review and pictures | evo

·
Vendor
45,782 Posts
Might do when its 10 years old and costs 2 grand. If I had £25k to blow on a car I'd get a V10 M5 and spend the remaining £10k on fuel.

·
Registered
12,405 Posts
MY issue of CAR arrived today too. The last issue seemed the best issue for ages and this one looks pretty good too. I've just scanned the letters page and started to read Stephen Worthy's LTT end of test piece on the Giulietta where he refers to 'boys from Turin'. I should leave the magazine alone till Friday and not get distracted.

I am with Pud on buying used and not new, and seen the advert for the next issue of CAR about £5K hot hatches featuring the GTi, Civic Type-R and a Clio 197.

·
Registered
13,685 Posts
I too put a long winded post suggesting a Ferrari 348TB. Good job we are all different :) I was at the Cholmondley Pagent of Power the other year and saw a Scirocco for £33k and nearly choked. I suppose with discounts etc. it will be cheaper but I just wouldn't.

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am in the same boat - never bought a new car and never will. I have a sort of £10k self imposed limit on car purchases. My current cars (GTA; XC90; Defender) are worth about £15k in total and provide me with all I could need/want.

But yes when the values come down I think it will be a great used purchase. Looks like a lot of simple fun.

·
Registered
739 Posts
There's a Scooby version of this too (the BRZ), and rumours of an STi-badged turbocharged version coming along eventually. Could be interesting :)

·
Registered
12,405 Posts
I doubt I'd have much more fun in that on the road than I could have in a £3K MR2 Spyder or a Celica GT Four.

As an aside I caught sight of the Chinook soundalike Scooby that regularly passes my house earlier. It's a blue Impreza 4 door covered in the yellow 555 transfers. :(

Nice car, very fast I am sure but do I really need the 'wopp, wopp, wopp' sound effects everytime it passes my house? :(

I don't associate Flat Fours with Toyota.

·
Registered
29,280 Posts
what they all said. i think anyone buying a car brand new needs their head read unless they're absolutely loaded. that toyota looks ok but if i was shelling out £25k i'd want something with murderous performance

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
what they all said. i think anyone buying a car brand new needs their head read unless they're absolutely loaded. that toyota looks ok but if i was shelling out £25k i'd want something with murderous performance
If people didn't buy cars brand new there wouldn't be any cheap second hand ones would there?

K

·
0 Posts
If people didn't buy cars brand new there wouldn't be any cheap second hand ones would there?
I imagine that fleet buyers would keep us well stocked.

I couldn't imagine buying a new car with my own money. Firstly because I don't like modern cars and secondly because I don't like depreciation. My 156 has cost me £2000 in depreciation over 3 years. That's £2000 gone and vanished.

My next purchase is likely to be back in the world of the sub £1000 car where I'm much happier I think.

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
I imagine that fleet buyers would keep us well stocked.
stocked with what?

I'm going through a fleet purchase with wife's company ar at the mo and there were 7 manufacturers on the list. Nothing Italian was on there...

·
Registered
13,685 Posts
Indeed I agree. I have bought new once and if I include the time with my ex missus then three as she bought a further two. She has just bought (since we divorced) a new MX5 which is a beaut.

It suits her as she does not want any repair bills or being stranded. She even paid a servicing plan up front. Fuel, tax and go.

Pros and cons. I have good mechanical knowledge and am prepared to do some work myself so a good 2nd hand car works good for me. I am quite surprised at just how expensive to buy new cars are.
I mentioned my Ex and her previous new car was a '98 MKII MX5 that we bought. Been great so much so she gave it to my daughter for Xmas (it is in good nick with only 50k on) as she was offered about a grand in p/x for the £23k new MX5. That is what astounds me with new cars vs old. I nearly bought the old one off her but saw an Alfa Spider of the same year instead. Is the new one £22k better?

·
Registered
739 Posts
I know people who lease, which means you only have to pay for fuel and insurance, get to drive shiny new cars, and don't even worry about the depreciation (as it's built into the price).

Not cheap though - one friend has just taken delivery of a Mk 6 1.6 BlueMotion Golf which is setting him back £300/mo. Can't understand it myself.

·
Registered
12,405 Posts
In CAR this month they have a group test of the 911, R8, GTR R35 and M3, they have a little side panel saying how much you can get them used for. Looking for other cars more in my range (around the annual running costs of a GTA) two of the dealers have had Bentley Continetal GTs for sale for £30K-£35K.

I've seen all the references to the Corolla GT AE86, but I can't help thinking this is what a current day Celica should be like, if they'd just stayed with RWD instead of going from flip forward wedgy RWD to smooth glazed FWD with pop up lamp one in the mid 80s. Imagine if Mazda went front wheel drive with the next MX-5. Perhaps I am wrong in that just about everything except BMWs went front wheel drive in the 80s, including whatever the saloon base the AE86 was based on.

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
Nope. Soulless game station car:(

A mate turned up to a meet in a GT-R last week. He's doing the chassis development work for the tuner Lichfield.

Needless to say, it's fast as flip but devoid of any feel or feel good factor.

It left me cold.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Not for me, doesn't even remotely tickle my fancy :(

An Alfa 4C or the Jaguar C-X16 however :inlove:

·
Registered
24,536 Posts
Relative to new car prices it seems reasonable and I have a soft spot for the old AE86. It was my first "decent" car and it was my first utterly reliable, totally good fun car. And I woo'd MrsJim in her so, I have fond memories.

I am in the same boat - never bought a new car and never will. I have a sort of £10k self imposed limit on car purchases. My current cars (GTA; XC90; Defender) are worth about £15k in total and provide me with all I could need/want.
I just read that and thought :wow: all 3 for £15k! That seems incredibly good value. I'd guess a cheap GTA has to be worth at least £5k-£6k (??) and a minimum of £2.5k (??) for a usable Defender, means you can get a Volvo XC90 for less than £7k now? Is that right? It looks like tremendous value, so well done on such a versatile and cheap garage! :thumbs:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts