Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I put four new Toyo T1 sport tyres on my 156 1.9 16v last year, the fronts have worn to the indicators in approx 9,000 miles. The rears have loads of tread left. Is this high wear on the fronts normal on these cars or is it the Toyo tyres? The tracking has been done recently, wear is even across the tyre.
I know I probably should have rotated them so as to change all four at the same time but now I need two new fronts, should I stick with another pair of Toyos or go with something like Goodyear F1 Asymmetric 2.
Will it make make a difference to the handling having the Goodyears on the front, Toyos on back?
Thanks.

S

·
0 Posts
I had a set of Toyo T1-Rs on s 156 2.0 saloon a few years ago and they were done at about the same mileage.

The front tyres on both my 156s have worn in under 10k

If you want a longer life, go for a tyre with a better (A, B) economy rating in the new label system.

My family car, a 2005 Ford CMax wears Goodyear efficient grip performance tyres. The fronts have done 8k and a recent service showed 5.5mm remaining on the fronts and 7mm on the rears. That's off of an 8mm new tread depth.

·
Registered
9,188 Posts
Mixing tyres is always an unknown and normally you should avoid it.

If you do put two new tyres on, put them on rear and use the part worns on front.

As you have a diesel, the heavier engine may be a factor in the wear and your driving style. I wore out a pair of Dunlop SP 9000s in 6K once! (But they are soft!)

Don't know about Goodyear as I only use Dunlops ... Sport Maxx RT on mine are wearing well and I'm not a genteel driver! :)

·
Registered
37,490 Posts
I am a bit fan of Dunlops as well, they are relatively cheap to buy for a premium brand but you still get top performance.

I am not a huge fan of Toyo's. I had a set of T1-R on my Nissan 200 SX and it was Awful in the wet, although I have also used them on a FWD car and they seemed much better suited to that.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Had Toyo T1 Sports on my 147 years ago and found them to be a bit on the soft side as well. Great grip but didn't last too long, prob about 10-12k on the fronts.

My last 3 sets of tyres on my GT
- 4 Dunlop Sportmaxx at 38,000km
- 2 Goodyear Asym2 at 59,000 (on the front)
- 4 Goodyear Efficientgrip Performance at 72,000

The efficienctgrip performance are on now for about 5000km and don't look to have worn much. Considering the roads I travel are rough as **** and all bends, and I'm not exactly a slow driver, they're holding up well and the grip on them is great.

·
Registered
30,030 Posts
I had Toyo on my 156 and liked them a lot.
Great in the wet.
Out of the original T1-S and later T1-R, I preferred the T1-S.
The later tyre needed more pressure.
T1-S was happy at 2.2Bar, but the T1-R needed 2.4Bar to work as well.
That was in 205/55R16 91W.
Strangely, the recommended 16" pressure for a 156 changed from 2.2 to 2.4 around the same time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts