Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My MiTo 1.3 JTDm-2 85 is on order and looking forward to doing 50k miles a year in it, especially after the 02 plate lard-barge C5 we've had for the last 18 months.

Please ignore the aesthetics of a tow bar on a MiTo for now, I'd appreciate your comments on this: The dealer kindly dug out an owners manual for the MiTo and towing weight for braked trailer is 1000kg, where I've seen the petrol is 500kg. It seems a big variance?

Towing would be occasional, with a trailer of around 750kg inc load.

This all may be academic as a cheap van as a tow/service vehicle may be on the cards in 12 months time.

·
Registered
573 Posts
big variance on towing would be torque

diesels have more torque therefore better for towing (gives the adequate force required to get a heavier trailer moving)

if it says 1000kg for diesel then it should be ok - although is that 1.6 or the 1.3?

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There was a recall in New Zealand to change stated towing weights on chassis plate from 1000kg to 500kg due to accidents. But that was petrol versions, so David, I'm not shocked by that info.

Agreed Vorsprung, heavier lump up front would help too. Figures were for 1.3 95ps model, but torque figure identical for 85ps version

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've been towing >500kg with my 1.6 without any issues.
That is reassuring. What do you pull? I've attached an old image of ours. Looks heavier than it is, as car is under 380kg and trailer is a lightweight jobbie.

Attachments

T

·
0 Posts
Just a big box trailer, 8' long, 5' wide, 6' high - 7' off ground to top I guess, bit of an air brake! Mpg <30 towing it at 60 on motorway!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts