Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
Make sure your licence allows you to tow such a weight plus the legalities of A frames used to tow cars are a bit iffy as according to the rules you can't tow an unbraked trailer weighing over 750kg (or half the towing vehicles kerb weight, whichever is less). Many A frames don't have brakes - if your does then happy days!

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
Do you mean cable thats designed to put the brakes on if the trailer comes away from the car? If so then it needs to go somwhere other than around the ball as thats the bit that often fails which would mean the brakes would n't come on. The trailer should have over-run brakes as well though.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry, just meant that the A frame has a brake fitted !

I had never seen an A frame before yesterday and need to mount it on the 156 today without damaging the suspension ! There are two belt ratchets (one on each side) and an adjustable V bar. I have no idea how to fit it !

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
They have an overrun brake so that if the towing car slows down then the trailer comes forwards and automatically applies the brakes. The cable thing puts the trailer handrake on if it comes away from the car.

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
Around the actual tow bar structure, not around the ball itself. If the ball was to break then the chain would come off as well and not activate the brakes.

·
Registered
9,528 Posts
I think the question the OP was asking is how to fit the A-frame to the car......the "feet" of the "A" go up against the bottom wishbones - the curved swivels go over the wishbone and the chains go over the top then back under the wishbone and into the brackets on the ratchet straps.....the phrase to remember is "you pull on the chain and brake on the frame"...ie when the towcar and frame are pulling the towed car its the chain doing the work, when you brake the towing car the towed car is braked against the feet of the "A". If you have an A-frame with a braking system there will be a device operated by the over-run brake which is attached to the inside of the car to push on the car's service brake...I haven't seen one in operation but I have severe doubts about there effectiveness. I've towed thousands of miles with a non-braked A-frame, and never had a problem (one traffic copper commented on my "unbraked trailer", but only muttered about me technically being required to travel at lower speeds)...nor have I ever heard of anyone who has had an issue, but I have no doubt that with the increasing petty-mindedness of our policing authorities there will be some who will seek to ban their use.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think the question the OP was asking is how to fit the A-frame to the car......the "feet" of the "A" go up against the bottom wishbones - the curved swivels go over the wishbone and the chains go over the top then back under the wishbone and into the brackets on the ratchet straps.....the phrase to remember is "you pull on the chain and brake on the frame"...ie when the towcar and frame are pulling the towed car its the chain doing the work, when you brake the towing car the towed car is braked against the feet of the "A". If you have an A-frame with a braking system there will be a device operated by the over-run brake which is attached to the inside of the car to push on the car's service brake...I haven't seen one in operation but I have severe doubts about there effectiveness. I've towed thousands of miles with a non-braked A-frame, and never had a problem (one traffic copper commented on my "unbraked trailer", but only muttered about me technically being required to travel at lower speeds)...nor have I ever heard of anyone who has had an issue, but I have no doubt that with the increasing petty-mindedness of our policing authorities there will be some who will seek to ban their use.
Thanks Richard. It turns out that we had the feet upside down ! After correcting them the 156 was safely recovered. What I am wondering now is whether the wishbones will now need to be replaced ?

·
Registered
9,528 Posts
Shouldn't be any need to replace the wishbones, if they were in good nick beforehand - towing with an A-frame shouldn't impose any extra stresses.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Shouldn't be any need to replace the wishbones, if they were in good nick beforehand - towing with an A-frame shouldn't impose any extra stresses.
Thanks Richard. On a separate note, do you remove engine and gearbox for purposes of gearbox removal on the TS ?

·
Registered
9,528 Posts
You can remove the gearbox on its own - easier to drop the subframe to give you more room....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts