Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all - I toured round the Killarney area last year in my Series 2 Spider and had a great time despite the weather, this year I'm touring the North (staying near Eglington) - I know the North a lot better especially round Magilligan as I used to live there but am still looking for good driving roads so am looking for some suggestions?
I want to do a bit of touring in Donegal as well
Definite drives so far are
A2 Coast Road
Mulroy Bay Bridge (just got to see it)

Anyone got any more ideas of driving roads and are there any Alfa events going on between 30 Aug - 4th Sept
thanks

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Try the Atlantic drive (I thnk Mulroy is close) I think part of it is used in Donegall rally. For scenery try Slieve League -the drive to the car park is not for the faint hearted but worth it. The road between Ardara and Killlybegs past Glengesh to Glencolumcille is nice (check google for details of this drive) but it is years since I did it. The roads used to be quite challenging but then I did it in an old Lancia Montecarlo which proably was not best suited being so low:smile: But great memories nonetheless. If you are driving in the North then the North Antrim coast road is a nice drive -but often quite busy and slow.
It is beautiful in Donegal and if you head up to Malin Head direction then Five finger strand is very scenic. As ever, in Ireland the weather is likely to influnce the experience. Enjoy your stay. Not sure about any Alfa events going on at that time.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks GTV _ I know the Atlantic Drive quite well as we used to drive out in my dads old Consul from Milford many many moons ago but I'll give it a go again, I'm expecting the worst of weather and may be surprised , such is Ireland, Slieve League looks amazing so think that's worth the trip
cheers

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Thanks GTV _ I know the Atlantic Drive quite well as we used to drive out in my dads old Consul from Milford many many moons ago but I'll give it a go again, I'm expecting the worst of weather and may be surprised , such is Ireland, Slieve League looks amazing so think that's worth the trip
cheers
So, where did you go and how was it?

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So, where did you go and how was it?
We had a great time and the weather held up well so top down 90% of the time - the worst storm was round Dublin but just kept driving through it - as long as you dont stop its fine.
Did the port tunnel which was fun with the Dellortos in full song
A2 round the coast with a detour round the amazing Torr Head road
Giants causeway
Donegal - Mulroy Bridge - just had to drive over the 3m folly, dropped into Milford - my home town.
Atlantic drive - Downings - stopped in the singing pub for lunch
Derry for sightseeing
Slieve League cliffs - amazing scenery and quite a drive - took all the little roads - one with some pretty sharp hairpins and climbs
Past Errigal and dropped into the national park
All round Magilligan, drove on the strand at Downhill ( and nearly got stuck, the LSD got me out of that one)
Mussenden temple
Dark Hedges
The trips through Wales were amazing too - they have such good roads
Did 1600 mls and the only problem I had was finding Super unleaded
Our cottage in Eglington was superb - probably the best I've stayed at
And many more - just enjoying the empty roads and stunning scenery - my daughter was the perfect passenger as usual

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
We had a great time and the weather held up well so top down 90% of the time - the worst storm was round Dublin but just kept driving through it - as long as you dont stop its fine.
Did the port tunnel which was fun with the Dellortos in full song
A2 round the coast with a detour round the amazing Torr Head road
Giants causeway
Donegal - Mulroy Bridge - just had to drive over the 3m folly, dropped into Milford - my home town.
Atlantic drive - Downings - stopped in the singing pub for lunch
Derry for sightseeing
Slieve League cliffs - amazing scenery and quite a drive - took all the little roads - one with some pretty sharp hairpins and climbs
Past Errigal and dropped into the national park
All round Magilligan, drove on the strand at Downhill ( and nearly got stuck, the LSD got me out of that one)
Mussenden temple
Dark Hedges
The trips through Wales were amazing too - they have such good roads
Did 1600 mls and the only problem I had was finding Super unleaded
Our cottage in Eglington was superb - probably the best I've stayed at
And many more - just enjoying the empty roads and stunning scenery - my daughter was the perfect passenger as usual
Sounds like a good trip. Glad that the weather held up for you and that you enjoyed your holiday. Long time since I drove through Wales but have great memories of the place.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.