Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a small mark on the front of the bumper for which I have bought a touch up pen.

Is there any special technique for applying the paint or will any old roller do ;)

·
Registered
4,156 Posts
Errr! how small is that? What colour is your car, is it a metallic paint? I happen to be quite good at touching up small blemishes ( ex. autotrade) but more info required :)

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry :( too many distractions whilst trying to type.

Its Alfa Rosso 130, only a small mark at the bottom of the grille that probably only I notice.
I tried using a touch up pen years ago on my old vauxhall astra and it ended up looking like rolf harris had been at it.

My bella is far too precious for a repeat performance so if there is anything I can do to make it a good job I would appreciate the help.

Many thanks :)

·
Registered
4,156 Posts
Dont worry, theres room for experiments. If it looks crap, you can always wipe it of with paint thinner. The original paint contains hardener which, in a couple of weeks, makes the paint resistable to any publicly available solvent :D If you really want to make a good job out of it, you need to buy some rubbing compund. And I do mean rubbing compund. Not some silly Halfrauds stuff claiming it's a rubbing compund. Something nasty from Farecla or 3M. You also need some wet sanding paper preferably 1500 or 2000 grain paper. If I haven't scared you allready let me know, and I'll make you an illustrated "how to guide" during the weekend :cool: My sisters car has been "key'ed" and is in need of some TLC :eek:

·
Registered
17,658 Posts
Please publish your methods Hoygaard :)

I have my own rather amateur technique for stone chips involving a small wedge of paper used to put tiny amounts of paint on - bit by bit. I keep doing this until I achieve a "fill" that is just above the "normal" paint height. Then I "flat" the area with very fine Wet and Dry (used Wet) finishing with a jewllers rouge to restore the shine.

But........a lacquered finish paint (that I now have) is very difficult.....so your tips would be much appreciated :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts