Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The last mechanic to service my 1.4MA Giulietta told me it was an exceptional example, immaculate. Then today... went to Screwfix to buy a drill bit (big spender); family asked me to drop them somewhere "on the way". On the bit of road I wouldn't have been on if I'd gone the direct route, a white van parked on the right signalled and pulled out, and buried his front left corner in my offside rear door. I was doing 25 or 30, he was obviously slower, so his bumper dragged back through my rear wheel arch and wrecked the suspension and the rear quarter of the car.

3 hours later its back end was suspended behind a recovery truck, the driver saying there was lots of damage underneath and he thought it might be a write off.

Maybe it will survive, but it looks touch and go...

·
Registered
437 Posts
Sorry to hear that, I was in a similar situation earlier this year. After a bit of coming and going it did eventually get sorted, but an unpleasant experience all the same.

Hoping for the best with your Giulietta.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you folks, much appreciated.

The hire car company's idea of an exact equivalent to a 1.4 multiair hatchback is a funereal black E220d Merc with leather upholstery and automatic everything. It's really the opposite: large, silky smooth and not what you'd want to chuck around the lanes. Unfortunately Mrs Sterzo prefers it to the Giulietta.

Like most stories, it has a good side. I sat in the wreckage for three hours, organising everything and awaiting the rescue truck. People from six different houses came out during that time, offering tea, toilets, and (in one case) a living room to wait in. So unfriendly, these Londoners.

·
Registered
17,039 Posts
Thank you folks, much appreciated.

The hire car company's idea of an exact equivalent to a 1.4 multiair hatchback is a funereal black E220d Merc with leather upholstery and automatic everything. It's really the opposite: large, silky smooth and not what you'd want to chuck around the lanes. Unfortunately Mrs Sterzo prefers it to the Giulietta.

Like most stories, it has a good side. I sat in the wreckage for three hours, organising everything and awaiting the rescue truck. People from six different houses came out during that time, offering tea, toilets, and (in one case) a living room to wait in. So unfriendly, these Londoners.
Very sorry to hear about this incident and your car, Sterzo. Hoping that some good comes out of bad for you.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Sorry to read this. I had a similar, although less serious experience with my 916 Spider earlier in the year. Given its age it was nearly written off but luckily managed to get it repaired as a no fault claim. Insurance co were useless (have sinced changed), and spent all summer fielding junk calls from injury claims sharks. It’s truely gutting when it happens, but at least no one was injured, in your case or mine.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Many thanks for the good wishes gentlemen! Spoke this afternoon to the claims bods, who confirmed it's a write off. They're giving me a few hundred less than I paid for it on 1st March.

For somebody, somewhere, this will be a good buy for spares. Under 45,000 miles, new cambelt last month, new multiair unit in April, new front tyres in June. Also, in spite of me owning it, it was immaculate so the seats and trim and most panels are top notch. (But not the rh rear, which was shredded by the van).

Just in case any dealer (or private person) on here is interested in a scrapped 2015 Gliuletta currently in Leatherhead, I could give details of the reg no and insurance company etc.

·
Registered
11,066 Posts
Very sorry to hear this Sterzo :(

But glad you're ok...
..I will say a little prayer to the Alfa Gods that you find a worthy replacement🙏

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
A belated thank you for your prayers, chrishendrix.

On the Sunday after the Tuesday accident, I set out to bookmark every red 150 MA Giulietta on the web, within 500 miles. Every detail of my written-off one was exactly as I would have chosen: age, mileage, colour, trim, wheel size and pattern, equipment level – everything. Obviously when buying second-hand you have to compromise, but it was going to hurt to buy a replacement I liked “almost as much.”

Tried CarGurus first. Unlike most sites, their Search actually uses the criteria you input. First car to appear: my old one’s identical twin, equally immaculate, on sale at WLMG Reading for a reasonable price. Same mileage but four months younger. Rang on Sunday, bought on Monday. Even the resonance on the lower dash panel is the same. Only difference is, it has reversing sensors and, unlike any I have encountered previously, they are quiet but precise and a big help. Amazing.

Collected it on Thursday, and have done just under 500 miles since, every mile a pleasure with that steering feel.

Mrs Sterzo preferred the Mercedes E220d hire car I had for a few days. (Very refined. Mercedes, not Mrs Sterzo). Doesn’t like noisy Alfas. Probably should sell. Any offers? (For Mrs Sterzo, obviously, not the Alfa).

·
Registered
437 Posts
Glad to hear you were able to source a suitable replacement without too much trouble.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts