Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, just waiting to see whats going to happen next! Couple of weeks ago had a tree drop in front of me (smashed bumper, fog light and air-intake/filter box).

Today knackered the side skirt! My own stupid fault (too many things on my mind) trying to park in a company car pack I'd not used before and managed to drop a wheel off a very high curb without realising how high it was.

Bad things happen in threes so I'm just praying the third thing is rather minor and not something awful (like a cambelt!).

Anyway, can anyone suggest where I can get hold of new side skirts? I've found widely priced ones on ebay but would prefer a recommendation from someone on here. Are they easy to fit or am I going to have to go to a body shop?

Thanks

Andy:(

M

·
0 Posts
sorry to hear of your woes Andy...hopefully the third will be a good thing..fingers crossed..

:)

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Bad luck mate.

BTW - you've never lived in Sutton at Hone by any chance have you?

·
Registered
16,710 Posts
Bad luck, things can only get better :)

·
Registered
610 Posts
Bad luck mate.

Would that be the start to his bad luck?:cheese: :lol:

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bad luck mate.

No Zoso, never lived in Sutton at Hone. Why's that? is there a mangled looking red 156 there as well? :)

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
No mate, just knew someone that lived there a few years ago with the same name as you, and wondered if you were he (or something)

And yes, that probably WAS the start of his bad luck fastboy :lol:

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No mate, just knew someone that lived there a few years ago with the same name as you, and wondered if you were he (or something)

And yes, that probably WAS the start of his bad luck fastboy :lol:
My sister has done a family tree and don't recall anyone from there. Must be some long lost branch of the family, it's a bit of an unusual name.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
His surname is/was Deakin, known as Deackes to his mates, so I thought it could be you / him

Um, confused now.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Anyway, back on topic: is it just the underside of the skirt that's damaged (ie the bit you don't) see? If it is, then you could repair it with a fibreglass kit. I'm about to do mine this weekend.

If it's broken where it shows then it's more difficult but possibly still repairable. Any pics?

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Anyway, back on topic: is it just the underside of the skirt that's damaged (ie the bit you don't) see? If it is, then you could repair it with a fibreglass kit. I'm about to do mine this weekend.

If it's broken where it shows then it's more difficult but possibly still repairable. Any pics?
I might post some pics later, was intending taking some of the damaged bumper before I replace it anyway. The skirt is visibly damaged from underneath right round to the top, great big crack.

Think I'll have to buy a new pair of skirts and get them sprayed up. Prices seem to vary wildly on ebay, from around 25 - 180 quid!

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
Today knackered the side skirt! My own stupid fault (too many things on my mind) trying to park in a company car pack I'd not used before and managed to drop a wheel off a very high curb without realising how high it was.

Thanks

Andy:(
Doh Andy:(

The wife did this:-

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/700924-post9.html

To mine last August:mad: Got it repaired for £300 and it's perfect.

Proline Paints in Northampton did the repair:cool:

Got any pics of your own damage?

Cheers,

·
Registered
507 Posts
Andy, let me guess, stupid Beachgate car park? Did a rim there a few years ago myself. :mad: The place is a nightmare. Prob'ly one of the subconscious reasons along with many of the conscious reasons I left the place!!!!

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Andy, let me guess, stupid Beachgate car park? Did a rim there a few years ago myself. :mad: The place is a nightmare. Prob'ly one of the subconscious reasons along with many of the conscious reasons I left the place!!!!
Hi Neil,

you are spot on! Stupid high curb in the multi-storey car park. As you can imagine was totaly p155ed off! It's a pig of a car park isn't it? And guess what, they are building a similar one at oakhill!

Andy

·
Registered
16 Posts
Totally hacked off describes me at the moment!

My own stupid fault, I knew the pole was there, but i couldnt see it and nudged it ever so slightly...... I have managed to put a nice long crack in my rear bumper. Being fibreglass its started to curl a little bit so its even more obvious.

I've been looking around the forum but most of the suggestions of body repairers were for dents and scuffed paint work. I would welcome any suggestions on a good fibreglass bumper repairer..... being new to this country all my trusty car people are om the other side of the world!

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi Emma,

sorry to hear of your problem. I've never used any repairers for fibreglass, I've always done too much damage :(

You can get it done though, saw a 147 with a crack in the front bumper which you couldn't see once it was done. Have a search on google for bumper repairs, you might find something. Otherwise someone might be along who can recommend a repairer soon.

Good luck in getting it sorted!

Andy

·
Registered
7,032 Posts
Hi Andrew ! did you bust the sump ? please check for leakage in the next couple of days....

sorry to hear about your woes... happened to me last year, hit a pole hidden in the grass and later driving backwards hit a concrete block that was not there when I parked (not sure about that) 2000 + ukp damage..:( the third mishap did not yet take place but I am on defcon 3 now...

·
Registered
338 Posts
Any decent bodyshop should be able to do fiberglass repairs. Problem is the cost, local bodyshop quoted me a "special" price as they know me of £150-170 for a repair to a chip (big one) out of my rear spoiler.

Bit silly really as the spoiler costs £35 and they would charge about £50 to spray and fit the new one....I bought a fibreglass repair kit and a tin of paint and did it for about £10, to a level where it is un-noticeable from anything more than 2 inches away. Might be worth a DIY try ? Worst that will happen is you will need new skirts which you are planning on already anyway.

·
Registered
35 Posts
try a local smartpaint repair company, i nudged into a guy a few weeks ago and got the bumper repainted for 30 quid and you cant tell at all , just look in your local yellow pages for them..

1 - 20 of 22 Posts