• Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
14,800 Posts
I may have to go out for supplies later. Other than that I'm doing my daily exercise and working from home.

From what I've seen whilst out with the dog, the only people ignoring the lockdown are teenage lads. I put this down to stupidity.

·
Registered
7,356 Posts
Been out everyday but only for exercise - out on the push iron for an hour or so, and enjoying the sunshine. Very easy to maintain space separation when cycling down country lanes.
Other than that, just going out for a main food shop once a week, and a paper on Saturday mornings.
So I'm conforming to Boris's instruction.
I'll no doubt be spending a lot of time in the garden either working on it or sitting in it and drinking myself into oblivion when I run out of work (soon).

·
Registered
714 Posts
I may have to go out for supplies later. Other than that I'm doing my daily exercise and working from home.

From what I've seen whilst out with the dog, the only people ignoring the lockdown are teenage lads. I put this down to stupidity.
Same here, youth close together not keeping the distance.
But thats probably an age related thing, thinking that they are immortal.
It a selfie thing to, well we live in the selfie age so thats not weird to.

·
Administrator
45,539 Posts
I'm not really sure what answer to give.

We haven't left the house to shop since lock down started, but we'll have to at some point. We are taking the dogs for a walk every day, but maintaining social distancing when doing so. So I guess the third option, but we're taking it much more seriously that that seems to imply.

·
Administrator
45,539 Posts
Incidentally, while Not Going Out is rather hit and miss, Mack is very good on Would I Lie to You, and his early stand up is fantastic.
There's a clip online somewhere of him doing a bit about accents , including the South African one and it's very funny.

·
Registered
7,356 Posts
Yep, big fan of Lee Mack. The first few series' of 'Not Going Out' were sublime - I had to start recording them because I was missing too many jokes with the relentless flow of them. Tim Vine was a co-writer with Mack in the early days, wow, what a partnership. Later series were just about watchable for me.
Lee's a cracking stand-up as well.
Perhaps yet another north-south divide thing? All the best comics are from the north of course!

·
Registered
368 Posts
Hey Chaps, get a hold of Thucydides second book of the Peloponnesian Wars where Sparta lays siege to Athens and a total breakdown of Athenian society ensues as the populous is decimated by plague. A cheery read but lets you know that plenty have had it worse. Perspective.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I'm going out on a weekday daily basis for work. Otherwise I'm staying in as exercise can wait like it's waited for the last 20 years.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Yep, big fan of Lee Mack. The first few series' of 'Not Going Out' were sublime - I had to start recording them because I was missing too many jokes with the relentless flow of them. Tim Vine was a co-writer with Mack in the early days, wow, what a partnership. Later series were just about watchable for me.
Lee's a cracking stand-up as well.
Perhaps yet another north-south divide thing? All the best comics are from the north of course!
Apparently Lee Mack has it now too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Out for a walk most days, though it's getting harder as the places become more frequented. Shopping is a nightmare. Four adults in one house, restrictive diets for three - can't get a week's shop in one go because of the understandable rationing.

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
Alcoholics and smokers are other ones who will be susceptible. People with restrictive diets?
At least those who are susceptible to infection in the main are those who have largely made that choice at one time or another. For the others, it is regrettable.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
At least those who are susceptible to infection in the main are those who have largely made that choice at one time or another.
Utter bull. Unless you count choosing to grow old. While cancer, asthma and type 1 diabetes aren't a result of choice.

·
Registered
7,356 Posts
Smokers are higher risk for sure.
Not heard or read anything about the drunks though, but presumably excess drinking can lead to 'underlying health conditions' as well.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Smokers are higher risk for sure.
Not heard or read anything about the drunks though, but presumably excess drinking can lead to 'underlying health conditions' as well.
They say that when you are obese that your at risk to, allot of them are in IC.
Its an observaton a IC doctor made.

·
Registered
4,111 Posts
No getting away from it is that if you are obese you are far more likely to be getting pretty much any disease (or more likely illness) than someone who is not and that illness will tend to affect you worse than someone of correct weight. Your body (so cardiac systems, immune systems and organs etc) is already under strain just from the extra fat....an illness just makes it worse. Add in smoking it excessive drinking and you are chipping years of your life. ...yes we all know an overweight smoker/drinker who lived to be ninety something...but they are the exception rather than the rule. Overall smokers/heavy drinkers die younger...fact.
What is more surprising is the medical definition of obese...often it's anyone having a BMI of 30 or more...but more commonly it's anyone more than 20% over target weight...so let's say you should weigh 10 stone...but you weigh 12...you are obese...not a lot is it ? So now a lot more of you are obese than you thought ! But 20 percent is quite a bit. That's 20% more load on your heart and joints than they were made for....so they wear out quicker....how many really old fat people do you see?....not that many when you think about it...they don't make it that far. You would think twice about trusting your cars suspension is it was under 20% more load than it was designed for. And before you ask I'm about a stone over weight....but losing it quite quick at the moment as I can't pop across to the garage to get sweets every five minutes like I can when I'm at work!

·
Registered
7,356 Posts
No getting away from it is that if you are obese you are far more likely to be getting pretty much any disease (or more likely illness) than someone who is not and that illness will tend to affect you worse than someone of correct weight. Your body (so cardiac systems, immune systems and organs etc) is already under strain just from the extra fat....an illness just makes it worse. Add in smoking it excessive drinking and you are chipping years of your life. ...yes we all know an overweight smoker/drinker who lived to be ninety something...but they are the exception rather than the rule. Overall smokers/heavy drinkers die younger...fact.
What is more surprising is the medical definition of obese...often it's anyone having a BMI of 30 or more...but more commonly it's anyone more than 20% over target weight...so let's say you should weigh 10 stone...but you weigh 12...you are obese...not a lot is it ? So now a lot more of you are obese than you thought ! But 20 percent is quite a bit. That's 20% more load on your heart and joints than they were made for....so they wear out quicker....how many really old fat people do you see?....not that many when you think about it...they don't make it that far. You would think twice about trusting your cars suspension is it was under 20% more load than it was designed for. And before you ask I'm about a stone over weight....but losing it quite quick at the moment as I can't pop across to the garage to get sweets every five minutes like I can when I'm at work!
The trouble with BMI is that it's based on height and weight, muscle mass isn't taken into account.

Let's drop the ''but more commonly it's anyone more than 20% over target weight'' as being obese - that's nonsense you've just made up! The actual definition is:

If your BMI is:
  • below 18.5 – you're in the underweight range
  • between 18.5 and 24.9 – you're in the healthy weight range
  • between 25 and 29.9 – you're in the overweight range
  • between 30 and 39.9 – you're in the obese range
I've just done my BMI on the NHS website. BMI calculator | Check your BMI
It came out at 24.8 and ''a healthy weight''.
There's hardly any fat on me but plenty of muscle. And I spend a ridiculous amount of time each week exercising.
Conclusion: Take the BMI figure with a pinch of salt; the mirror is your best indication.

·
Registered
4,111 Posts
LOL..I didnt make it up......this is from the NHS...

"Obese: Well above one's normal weight. A person has traditionally been considered to be obese if they are more than 20% over their ideal weight. That ideal weight must take into account the person's height, age, sex, and build."

1 - 20 of 27 Posts