Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My beautiful 166 was written off when some idiot, who was parked illegally on the wrong side of the road, facing the wrong way, took off without looking and drove his ugly Merc straight into me and demolished practically all the driver's side including the front and both doors. Didn't even see him coming. Mrs. GFK and I suffered shock and aches, pains and small cuts etc. Looking for a repalcement 166, maybe a Sportronic this time. Negotiations with teh insurance company going on. Other driver actually admitted full liability in front of independant witness. Any advice on how to conduct these negotiations with the insurers would be appreciated. Obviously no fault on my side at all.

·
Registered
15,172 Posts
Any advice on how to conduct these negotiations with the insurers would be appreciated. Obviously no fault on my side at all.
Sorry to hear of the accident. Glad no-one was to badly hurt.

My only experience of insurers payouts is when my 166 was stolen. When they (finally) gave me a settlement figure, I showed them other cars for sale of the same standard to prove how much it would cost to replace. In all fairness, the price was good to start with but I wasn't going to accept the first offer. It's a lot like selling a car, don't be afraid to negotiate with them.

As far as the other driver accepting liability - I don't think this means an awful lot any more unfortunately. It's often down to the insurance companies to decide who was at fault.

Best of luck with the whole process and hopefully it all gets sorted out swiftly and amicably.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Bad luck, but glad you are both okay.

·
Registered
7,669 Posts
My beautiful 166 was written off when some idiot, who was parked illegally on the wrong side of the road, facing the wrong way, took off without looking and drove his ugly Merc straight into me and demolished practically all the driver's side including the front and both doors. Didn't even see him coming. Mrs. GFK and I suffered shock and aches, pains and small cuts etc. Looking for a repalcement 166, maybe a Sportronic this time. Negotiations with teh insurance company going on. Other driver actually admitted full liability in front of independant witness. Any advice on how to conduct these negotiations with the insurers would be appreciated. Obviously no fault on my side at all.
Sorry to hear about that GFK... It's truly soul-destroying when some witless prat drives into your pride & joy :(

A similar event happened to me not long ago, and although the other driver admitted full liability, I found that if your own insurance policy no longer covers OEM agency repair, the insurance company is legally bound to cover the repair cost only up to the level of a local backstreet Arthur Daley chop-shop repair quotation :eek: Any costs over & above that quotation in order to have your car repaired properly at the OEM repair agency will have to be covered from your own pocket.

In my case, after lengthy negotiations, my insurance company finally agreed to cover all repair, replacement & labour costs at the Alfa Agency workshops (It did help that the insurance company is a part of the same group of companies which owns and operates the Alfa Romeo main agency) :)

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone for your kind sentiments and support. Still talking to the insurance company. In the meantime I have found a very nice F/L Sportronic, low mileage. Looks good. Will keep you posted.

·
Registered
6,693 Posts
Thanks everyone for your kind sentiments and support. Still talking to the insurance company. In the meantime I have found a very nice F/L Sportronic, low mileage. Looks good. Will keep you posted.
We need pics..!!
Where in Hants are you? My parents are in Gosport. Will be paying them a visit before Xmas. Might have to come see this F/L in the metal..:thumbs::)

·
Registered
860 Posts
Unbelievable :wow: It amazes me how much ignorance/incompetence there is out there, especially when it wrecks such a rare and beautiful car.

Good luck with sorting things out :)

·
Registered
7,120 Posts
sorry to hear of your shunt, another one bites the dust......below 1500 now

as said, the main thing is you're all OK and it looked after you when it really counted.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I have no recent experience of dealing with insurance companies but I have read many a tale of people being stung by the "courtesy" car hire scam.
It seems that the accident management sharks put you into a top range hire car and then the repair company dillies and dallies so that you have the hire car for ages. Then the other insurance refuses to pay the excessive hire car charges (sometimes £thousands) leaving you well and truly in the lurch.
In your case your car is a writeoff but the same sort of scam may apply.
If you don't even want a hire car they seemingly sometimes still insist that they have to leave one on your doorstep !.
For more stories on this see Honest John on the Daily Telegraph Motoring website.
Good luck.
Doug

·
Registered
35 Posts
I picked up an Alfa accident management card thingy at the dealers last time I was in. Not sure whether I would use it but they've got to at least want to put you in another Alfa, haven't they?

Its in the car at the moment, I'll post the number when I've been to the car park and driven home.

Glad that everyone is ok though,

Cheers

Jonathan

·
Registered
277 Posts
and don't forget you will get phone calls and letters advising you to make a personal imjury claim for your accident , even months after it has all been settled, that happened to me.

Had my car repaired by a pal who did'nt over price repairing it, i was hit from behind, they wanted to give me a ford Ka as a hire car i settled for a jag........lol

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
and don't forget you will get phone calls and letters advising you to make a personal imjury claim for your accident , even months after it has all been settled, that happened to me.

Had my car repaired by a pal who did'nt over price repairing it, i was hit from behind, they wanted to give me a ford Ka as a hire car i settled for a jag........lol
They wanted to give me a Ford Focus for a replacement hire car,:lol:, I insisted on an Alfa, settled for an Audi, brand new A4 auto, not bad, certainly not an Alfa.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Protracted negotiations still ongoing with Insurers, but I think we are getting somewhere. Found good replacement 166. Will post details shortly, when insurers have come back with a much improved offer, having rejected the first two that their loss adjusters made to me. Some medical conditions have manifested themselves a few days later, certainly fairly strong back neck and shoulder persisitent pain, also my left elbow hit the steering wheel and enlarged rather alarmingly, couldn't use it for a couple of days, very painful, so insurers' solicitors have been advised and instructed accordingly.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I picked up an Alfa accident management card thingy at the dealers last time I was in. Not sure whether I would use it but they've got to at least want to put you in another Alfa, haven't they?

Its in the car at the moment, I'll post the number when I've been to the car park and driven home.

Glad that everyone is ok though,

Cheers

Jonathan
Thanks. I have the Alfa Accident card. I think it only covers the first three years of ownership, but please correct me if I am wrong.

·
Registered
7,669 Posts
Some medical conditions have manifested themselves a few days later, certainly fairly strong back neck and shoulder persisitent pain, also my left elbow hit the steering wheel and enlarged rather alarmingly, couldn't use it for a couple of days, very painful, so insurers' solicitors have been advised and instructed accordingly.
My GTA was eventually repaired to "as new" condition... However it wasn't until several months after the event that I began to suffer from persistent neck/shoulder pains & stiffness resulting from the rear impact whiplash effects. The accident occurred on 19-Feb-2010 and to date I still have constant stiffness in the shoulder muscles, and cannot rotate my head fully to the right.

AM

Attachments

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Settled with the insurers at last. Received £1775 which is probably fair, considering the car was a 2000 W reg and had done almost 92000 miles with a few dents and scratches and a flaking rear bumper. Miss the old girl though. Bought a very nice 2005 F/L black Sportronic. Very different driving experience, which I am just getting used to. Will post some photos soon.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts