Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 155 brakes failed yesterday, wife was driving with the baby, pedle went to the floor, nothing happend. The brakes were overhalled 3 months ago because the calipers where sticking. The clutch slave cylinder failed 6 months ago, which also shares its fluid with the brakes. So thats 3 maojor brake problems in 6 months.
In a way i was lucky, last sunday we went in someone elses car to Go kart racing, this meant doing 90+ mph through snowdonia to get to the track, flaming good job we didnt go in my alfa , would be dead now !!!
Maybe its time to go buy that Passat TDi since i wont trust my 155 anymore.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
'Kin 'ell, hope your wife is ok and not too shaken up! Gotta be a worst mightmare scenario eek!

Are the parts/work under warranty?

wrinx

·
Registered
715 Posts
Wow! Dod you know what it was in the end? Sounds like a bust pipe if they went completly. Scary stuff. Glad you are all OK.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Who did the overhaul? To be honest, it's not the Alfa that you should lose trust in, it's the mechanic. Alfa brakes are no different to any other, including those on a Pashat! If you had a qualified mechanic do the work, I'd have a word and if you did the work yourself, get somebody better to do it next time.

Glad to hear that no-one was injured though!

Rich.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Your right Henry , brake pipe had rotted through on nearside rear caliper. All other brake pipes look ok , the one that failed looks like its been on a car 20 years, manufacture fault be the look of it. Took 3 bloody hours to replace due to the complicated way it fits under the car and around the rear compensator unit. Another bill to pay !!!
Mechanic reckons that the brake system is split front to back ?, so frount brakes would still have worked.
The system still has a lot of air stuck in it today, have to go back for another bleed, been done 3 times already !

·
Registered
715 Posts
Have you put DOT 5.1 fluid in now. This is higher performance stuff (Not that my 155 seems to suffer from ridiculous brake fade anyway)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi everyone. I could remember reading something "bad" about Dot 5 brake fluids. So I looked for the info. Found a lot of info like this...............

------------------------------------------------
Can DOT 5 Brake Fluid Be Used Instead of DOT 3 or 4?

Always refer to vehicle owner's manual for what the manufacturer recommends or warns against. As a rule, vehicles equipped with antilock brakes (ABS) should not use DOT 5 brake fluid.

DOT 5 brake fluid is silicone based. DOT 3 (standard) and DOT 4 (heavy-duty) are glycol-based. It can be distinguished from conventional brake fluids by its purple color (which comes from a dye).

Silicone does not absorb moisture. DOT 5 brake fluid does not become contaminated with moisture over time as conventional DOT 3 and 4 brake fluids do. Silicone is also chemically inert, nontoxic and won't damage paint like conventional brake fluid. It also has a higher boiling point.

Because of this, it is often marketed as a premium "lifetime" brake fluid. It is often used to preserve brake systems in antique vehicles and those that sit for long periods of time between use.

DOT 5 silicone brake fluid is also very expensive (costing four to five times as much as ordinary brake fluid), and it won't mix with glyco- based brake fluid (creating concern over sludging if all old fluid isn't removed when a system is refilled with silicone).

Silicone also has slightly different physical properties and compressibility, making it unsuitable for ABS systems calibrated to work with DOT 3 or 4 brake fluid.

------------------------------------
Because of the ABS, I don't think it's advisable to use Dot 5 (unless I'm missing something ???)

Marlon

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I dunno about that - the ABS should be measuring the amount of wheel rotation (or lack of it), not how much the pedal is being pressed (where a different compressability may make itself felt).

The main problem with DOT5 is that SOME (probably older) brake systems need the glycol based fluid as it provides an element of lubrication to the seals in that system, whereas the Silicon based DOT5 doesn't.

If a system is designed solely for DOT5 then you shouldn't use DOT3/4 as the seals in the "DOT5 system" may be susceptible to attack from the corrosive DOT3/4 fluid.

As usual, it's probably safer to stick with what the manufacturer recommends in the first place.

Ralf S.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There was some info in a post I made a little while back regarding brake pads that said silicon stuff wouldn't absorb moisture - which meant pockets of moisture would form, and when this water vapourises at high temperatures can cause major problems. The company I got that from recommended replacing silicone fluid with racing fluid such as ELF XT3167, Brembo LCF600 Plus, or Castrol SRF. These are rated DOT 4+ or something. Don't know how much they cost though...

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Phew, glad you all made it through that - brake failure must be a bit dramatic!

Do you do your own servicing? A garage service or MOT should spot a brake pipe that rotten well before it fails.

You say you are having lots of bleeds to get air out of the system. You should only need the one to get it all out so you either have an air leak at one of the bleed nipples or its not being done correctly. I think the manual has some pretty strict ideas of how to bleed the abs system so a quick phone call to a proper alfa dealer (or independant) should getyou the correct order for bleeding - it is quite complex!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
4th time of bleeding today, the system has been bled exactly as this article says ( Cheers ian), manual bleed , pressure bleed , manual bleed again, just takes a long time to get all the air out i think

I never even open the bonnet on this car, it is always worked on by a Lancia Intergrale specilist, i simply dont have the time , or space to work on cars anymore, must admit though, this car has cost me an absolute fortune this year, Never mind eh!, Eibach anti roll bars a ready to go on, might have the brakes bled again at the same time !!!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
dot 5 will rot the seals in the abs pump,dot 4 is perfectly adequate.
alan
- - - - - - - -
keep her clean :p

1 - 14 of 14 Posts