1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

·
Registered
4,776 Posts
And why the 156 creaks like a boat in a storm! (11,000)

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
The 159 uses a number of techniques to get this stiffness including elegant steels of multiple thickness. This was supposed to give better stiffness for the same weight. Why the weight crept up is a mystery. It's well known that this approach was expensive but the deal with GM should have delivered volume cost savings. But in the end the GM deal was reversed and Alfa probably lost money on every one.

Reading through the attached list I see some BMWs that lose stiffness when there is a sunroof. This is very puzzling as the roof is only there to keep the rain out. The strength comes from the corner rails and cross braces. I can only conclude that BMW cut through one of the braces to get a sunroof installed!

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
The 156 is only an evolution of the Tipo/Tempra and 155. Besides that, they really tried to keep the car light. magnesium beam behind the dash, magnesium frames in the seats etc...

For the 159 lightweight wasn't a priority.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Hell. That figure is right up there,

·
Banned
2,484 Posts
i didnt need this list to tell me the 159 is built like an armoured tank
i was shoved and crushed into a guardrail by a B-Double prime mover moving at 100kph who just changed right into my lane, i felt the whole impact rip right into the drivers side and the door had its outer shell torn open like a sardine can, wheel rims at the front had all the spokes broken right off the centre, airbags going off, but the structural shape and cabin interior were not compromised ... matter of fact when the dust and smoke cleared i had to actually put it in park and switch off the engine ... died with her boots on
insurance assessor said any less structural rigidity and i wouldnt be here typing
if youve seen where the 159 goes over the cliff in Quantum Of Solace and hardly gets a ding in it, thats about the size of it

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It also shows very concisely why it's only worth getting a strut brace on the spider:)

Any spelling/ grammatical errors are purely there to annoy!

·
Registered
30,398 Posts
Probably one of the reasons why the 159 is comparatively heavy.
Back when ePER showed the weights of the 156 and 159 bare bodyshells I noted that the 159 was lighter. It was everything that was bolted to it afterwards that made the finished car heavy and as CS155 said, there was a lot of effort made to keep the 156 light (less effort was made for the 147 and cheaper heavier bits were used).

Reactions: Giorget2
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.