Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

i have opened the engine and replaced the head gasket, have to say sofar its an easy job!:)
Having not encountered this before and being key in the Cylinder head bolts i thought i better ask here first just so that i had it straight in my head?

On the cylinder heads bolts you are advised to Torque the bolts and then +90o so i have available a Torque angle guage and have already tightened the bolts in order to specified Torque setting ..... so do i now put the guage and torque them a further 90o?:confused:

Sorry if this is a dumb question but this kind of precision is new as i generally avoid opening engines up and leave this to my mechanic.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
No such thing as a dumb question..

Yes. Torque them to the correct torque setting and then twist them in the correct order another 90degrees (ANGLE not NM)..

no more than 90 degrees ANGLE!!

I do it in two 45 degree steps..sequentially.. but that's just me..

It feels brutal and no matter how many times you do it you'll still hold your breath..

·
Registered
8,916 Posts
No such thing as a dumb question..

Yes. Torque them to the correct torque setting and then twist them in the correct order another 90degrees (ANGLE not NM)..

no more than 90 degrees ANGLE!!

I do it in two 45 degree steps..sequentially.. but that's just me..

It feels brutal and no matter how many times you do it you'll still hold your breath..
Perfect post IMO :thumbs:

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
In practice 20Nm is so little (below the range of the click-type torque wrench) that I set it to 40Nm (or two marks short of 4.2mkg, since that's what the torque wrench is unhelpfully calibrated in) and then make a couple of passes to get to that torque.

Then I swap to a breaker bar. The first 90 degrees is pretty easy (count the numbers out loud as you go around the bolts in the sequence shown on the diagram - interruptions are a real nuisance as you forget easily which one you're up to - one useful hint is to mark a white paint line on each bolt head so it's obvious which ones have been turned 90 degrees and which haven't). The second pass (another 90 degrees) is harder work, and for the third pass (another 90 degrees) I put a tube over the end of the breaker bar, giving me a lever of about a metre length. It ends up being pretty bloody tight really...

-Alex

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Personally I torque them the same way as the old 12v 40nm, 60nm, 80nm and then a re torque after it went through a normal heat cycle till the fan came in and went of.
I never had a problem with one of my 24v motors done like this.
The degrees are normally used on stretch bolts and the studs in the v6 are not stretch studs to my knowledge, other wise you would have to change them and you do not.
20nm + 40nm + 90deg + 90deg + 90deg end up in the region of 140nm (according to tests I did).
Considering that the material of the studs, block, heads and gaskets basically stayed the same I can not see why this changed (without the addition of stretch bolts).

Advantage of the degrees is that you do not have to re torque but the disadvantage is that on an older motor you will strip the studs out of the block.

My thoughts around this for what its worth.
I suppose I am old-fashioned.:lol:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts