Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had off side front tyre replaced. Car seems to be continually torque steering right. Would this be due to a poor alignment?

Cheers.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Did you not replace both fronts together?

Maybe the near side has way less grip in comparison?
What grip is left on it?

I would suggest always replacing tyres in pairs on same axle and check alignment etc afterwards.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm suspecting it is due to the huge disparity on grip left to right. 8mm right. 3.5 left.

Might be able switch rear off side to front near side which has 5.5mm.

Are P zeros directional or can I make this switch ok?

·
Registered
328 Posts
It will say on the sidewall which direction they should be rotating in , or which sidewall should be to the "outside", if there is nothing then they are not directional or asymmetric.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So today I also replaced the near side front pirelli.

On drive home the car still steers right under throttle and even drifts right whilst cruising.

Anybody else suffering from this or is it likely the dealer has ruined my tracking?

·
Registered
696 Posts
As above, it doesn't sounds right. I had the similar problem when first took mine home. Took it back to get it re aligned. Now pulls a bit on the left and it will be taken elsewhere to be re checked but, it doesn't sounds as bad as yours.

Are all tyres (specially the front) all the same and at the sae point of wear?

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
280+bhp through the front wheels, and you'll know what torque steer in D in 2nd gear feels like, especially when the road is unlevel, not a good thing.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
As above, it doesn't sounds right. I had the similar problem when first took mine home. Took it back to get it re aligned. Now pulls a bit on the left and it will be taken elsewhere to be re checked but, it doesn't sounds as bad as yours.

Are all tyres (specially the front) all the same and at the sae point of wear?
All four p zero rossos. Front two brand new this week. Didn't pull either side until Alfa dealer changed tyres. Only reason went to dealer for tyres due to having an Alfa discount voucher! Now I'm gonna have to get back over to a proper tyre place.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Mine started to pull hard to the right a few months ago under acceleration. Its fine when cruising along, but as soon as you floor it, off to right she goes. It was in at the dealers a few weeks ago for other issues and i asked them to check it out. A Google search was suggesting wishbone bushes / suspension as a potential cause but the dealer said all was in order and that it was probably just torque steer, but seeing as though it didnt do it in the first 2 years of ownership, I very much doubt it.

M

·
0 Posts
No idea! I've had that many suspension issues I wouldn't be surprised of another. Had the alignment checked at weekend. Was out by 4mm apparently. However still seems to go to the right under heavy acceleration.

Any ideas?!
I had this problem with a new BMW 3 seires coupe, the dealer said it was normal as the car is "camber sensitive"! If I took my hands off the wheel I would be in the central reservation!

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
I'm amazed at how poor many alignment companies are. I ended up taking my Subaru back 3 times to the dealer because, every time they gave it back it was pulling one way or another and the steering wheel wasn't straight, yet they still had the cheek to charge me for it and then argue afterwards.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Did the OP ever cure his problem? Seems I am not the only one to experience this after one new boot up front.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts