Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had 2 people in my car yesterday for the first time and I was really surprised how heavy the car felt with 2 extra people in it. Normally with me and my gf who is tiny anyway you cant notice any difference in performance.

But yesterday with 2 different normal sized adults the car felt like it was hurting in terms of Power. I never thought the big 3.0 Litre would have any problem at all but not so with 2 extra people !

The worst thing I noticed was when accelerating from start turning right up a hill the right front wheel lifted off the ground with torque steer !!! I never thought this would ever happen with the front koni shocks on almost full hard and low profile 18' wheels and tyres. I was just embarassed thinking it was like the cheaper Fiat 128 I used to have from the 80s ! Anyway dont think my friends noticed or said anything but I certainly noticed it.

Would people think this would not happen with a Q2 LSD?

·
Registered
13,169 Posts
If you've got two people in the car, that's got to be a gross weight of circa 120Kg, so you are adding in the region of an extra 10% to the weight of the car.

An extra person in the twinnie is very noticeable and when I go on a run, I only half fill the tank as she noticeably quicker when emptier.

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
I had 2 people in my car yesterday for the first time and I was really surprised how heavy the car felt with 2 extra people in it. Normally with me and my gf who is tiny anyway you cant notice any difference in performance.

But yesterday with 2 different normal sized adults the car felt like it was hurting in terms of Power. I never thought the big 3.0 Litre would have any problem at all but not so with 2 extra people !

The worst thing I noticed was when accelerating from start turning right up a hill the right front wheel lifted off the ground with torque steer !!! I never thought this would ever happen with the front koni shocks on almost full hard and low profile 18' wheels and tyres. I was just embarassed thinking it was like the cheaper Fiat 128 I used to have from the 80s ! Anyway dont think my friends noticed or said anything but I certainly noticed it.

Would people think this would not happen with a Q2 LSD?
The extra weight on the left hand side is why your right front came up off the ground not torque steer, you were already turning right. If you were to carry passengers regularly, especially in the back(unlikely in a GTV), then it would be sensible to adjust/stiffen your rear Konis.

Why you've still got your front Konis set on hard I don't know.:rolleyes:

A Q2, or Quaife, diff will prevent wheel spin & torque steer but not wheel lift.

Quaife ATB Helical LSD differential Kit - Autolusso New Parts Shop

Clive

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Yeah I was surprised it would be down on power. As normally theres is just an endless abundance of Power when its just me on board. I guess theres no such thing as "endless amounts of power"

Your probably right Clive thats very intuituve thinking with rear passenger sitting in the left seat also being the heaviest.

Konis I like on the hardest setting - sorry :p

The softer settings feel like mush in comparison.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
I donno if thats torque steer. Its probably just struggling for grip with the extra weight. Do you have decent tires as they make a massive impact?

I used to feel strange type of pulling on the steering wheel tugging left or right when hammering it and you have to re-align the steering wheel straight.

I assumed this was torque steer and the quaife cures it nearly completely.

Id fit a Q2/quaife as it will help you with torque steer and loss of grip from standstill - win win!

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Clives beat me to it :-D

Also one thing i've learnt in 5 years of crazy alfa suspension setups is that you need a bit of flex/give in the suspension to keep all 4 wheels on the ground.

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I donno if thats torque steer. Its probably just struggling for grip with the extra weight. Do you have decent tires as they make a massive impact?

I used to feel strange type of pulling on the steering wheel tugging left or right when hammering it and you have to re-align the steering wheel straight.

I assumed this was torque steer and the quaife cures it nearly completely.

Id fit a Q2/quaife as it will help you with torque steer and loss of grip from standstill - win win!
I have Pirreli Pzero Neros - there pretty sticky tyres and brand new.
I think it just needs the Q2

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
Never get the whole torque steering thing, maybe I don't press the loud pedal far enough..
He didn't get "torque steer", he just got wheel spin...
And as has been many times in this and other threads, his front dampers are set too stiff...

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
The whole dynamics of the GTV change the minute you add a passenger, you just have to accept that the car will handle differently with extra 'load' and drive accordingly.

·
Registered
57 Posts
torque steer

might be the sign of drive shaft or diff going.had the same on my old 33.as for people in the car (like 4 grown up people crammed in) it was a bucket load of poop. why. lol

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
He didn't get "torque steer", he just got wheel spin...
And as has been many times in this and other threads, his front dampers are set too stiff...
I don't think the shocks are too stiff - I have OEM springs and the car is set up just right the way I like it. I have tried all the other settings towards the softest and in my opinion they are just soft as mush and like driving a boat at higher speed. So more than happy with the current setup and it's not that uncomfortable either

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
I don't think the shocks are too stiff - I have OEM springs and the car is set up just right the way I like it. I have tried all the other settings towards the softest and in my opinion they are just soft as mush and like driving a boat at higher speed. So more than happy with the current setup and it's not that uncomfortable either
In that case I suspect your front springs have seen better days as the std/OEM springs with std shocks don't drive like that until they're shot.

Clive

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
In that case I suspect your front springs have seen better days as the std/OEM springs with std shocks don't drive like that until they're shot.

Clive
So I need new springs now ? The cars only done 70,000 Kms (43,000miles) and had a sheltered life. Does it still need new springs ?

I want to get some eibachs anyway. Put it on the bill for the the Q2 I need also.

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
Perhaps you'll listen one day?

So I need new springs now ? The cars only done 70,000 Kms (43,000miles) and had a sheltered life. Does it still need new springs ?

I want to get some eibachs anyway. Put it on the bill for the the Q2 I need also.
Probably yes.

Now hurry up & get some fitted so you can set your suspension correctly, as previously advised by some of us who've been trying to help you.....for quite a long time.

Clive

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
So I need new springs now ?
Well you seam to be winding the dampers up to give a firmer ride.
The dampers should only control the rate the springs compress, they should not be used to try and control the amount they compress.
Winding the front rebound rate to the max will be preventing the springs extending, which will make traction worse.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts