Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know all F/W turbo cars suffer torque steer but has anyone noticed its got a little more noticeble since theyve added 18's?

I pulled away a little briskly from the lights and though it didn't wrench the wheel out of my hands I did have to fight it a little bit.

Ive got vredistien vortis on it with about 800 miles on them

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Maybe but the when I put on the new tyres, it didn't seem to tram line as much as the 17's.

It sometimes happens when im cruising at say 50 the drop a gear and accelerate

·
Registered
33,269 Posts
There's more giroscopic force on the rotating wheel/tyre combo as the 18" one is heavier and the weight is further from the centre?

·
Registered
33,269 Posts
If you spin a bicycle wheel it takes some force to "steer" it . More force if its a bigger wheel.

Yes it's normal.

R

·
0 Posts
Torque steer is usually a feeling of when the car is pulling oddly into or out of a corner when steering left or right. I would have thought that if you were experiencing torque steer, the difference in the steering angle and wheel speeds would put the traction control light on. If I give my car the beans, it doesn't affect the steering but its obvious the unloaded wheel is getting a brake job! The very worst offender I ever drove with this was a Triumph Acclaim but I might have to check it out in Dmode! However you might be right, I do find that when overtaking on b roads the car whips back towards the path but I just thought it as due to the road camber?

·
Registered
1 Posts
the vehicle pulling to one side when accelerating and pulling off is called torque steer and is as a result of the side shafts. One side shaft is shorter than the other thus power is delivered to that specific wheel before the other causing the vehicle to pull to one side

·
Registered
292 Posts
Im getting really bad torque steer on the Mito, to the point where you have to really fight to keep it going straight if you boot it.

It actuly squirms all over the road.

Im swaping the wheels out from 16's to 17's soon and sticking some better rubber on, so im hoping it helps it.

But ive never known a FWD turbo car to torque steer quite as bad as the Mito does

·
Registered
33,269 Posts
Im getting really bad torque steer on the Mito, to the point where you have to really fight to keep it going straight if you boot it.

It actuly squirms all over the road.

Im swaping the wheels out from 16's to 17's soon and sticking some better rubber on, so im hoping it helps it.

But ive never known a FWD turbo car to torque steer quite as bad as the Mito does
Must be quite weird with a Mito with its feel-less steering. I drove one down my favourite country lane and really didn't enjoy that distant feeling. Are you sure its not just that as opposed to torque steer?

·
Registered
218 Posts
This is my first strong engined car (Previous was 1.2L 60HP Fiesta 2011), and i had this ''torque steering''.
I thought it was normal.
But it isnt?

I use 17'' right now and i have it.
Is it bad to have it? Or can you just go with it and never think about it will destroy equipment?

·
Registered
292 Posts
Its fine hooning around, i dont find the steering that numb to be honest its not fantastic but ive driven worse.

You do get the rear end skipping around in the Mito, which can feel a little odd.

Its certainly Torque steer, and is to be exspecting from a fairly quick FWD car, most modern 'sports' type FWD cars have a type of diff to try and help but it wont totaly get rid of it.

Torque steer is normal.

its only really bad in the bottom two gears if you proper boot it, once you hit third its ok.

by brother has a 200bhp Zafira and its the same, it will pull you into a hedge if you let it.

Its too much asking the front wheels to go fast and steer at the same time.

All my other cars are RWD so dont get the issue with them.

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
An LSD can't help with torque steer, it makes it worse. It can help with loss of grip on one side though and that's what I suspect is happening (steering kickback). Torque steer doesn't tug at the wheel

A RWD car with similar power will get a big weight shift to the rear wheels while accellerating which helps get the power down, but they can still suffer from torque steer (rear wheel steering in this case). A FWD car gets the same but unloads the front wheels.

R

·
0 Posts
the vehicle pulling to one side when accelerating and pulling off is called torque steer and is as a result of the side shafts. One side shaft is shorter than the other thus power is delivered to that specific wheel before the other causing the vehicle to pull to one side
That is a proper sideways thought for me! However you could actually have a point there as it would also result in different unsprung masses spinning around. You never see an F1 car with one short and one long driveshaft! Anyone throw a bit more light on this thought?

C

·
0 Posts
It's not just the length of the driveshafts, the angle the driveshaft makes between the gearbox and the driven wheels also contributes to torque-steer.
Since I got new tyres and the tracking on my MiTo set to 0.0 degrees my torque-steer has practically gone.

I'm sure I read a couple of years ago that a fairly modern RWD American car was getting axle-tramp, it was cured by fitting different diameter drive shafts - I wonder whether a similar fix would reduce torque-steer on powerful FWD cars.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts