Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sadly my TBI has now sold to another Alfa enthusiast. The 3.2S will never be sold. I am however missing the low down grunt from the turbo engine.

Has anyone considered fitting a Torq Amp to the 3.2. All of the data suggests they work, installation seems quite simple and the cost would be I guess about £1600 for what would be an expected increase in bhp of about 40 up to 300 and torque estimate from 320 to 380NM

I guess its not far off Autodelta's supercharger figures which including installation is around 9K v 1.6K and is easily removable!

I am not sure if Autodelta do anything to the compression ratio or change injectors fuel pressure. From glancing over it would seem boost pressure is about 0.5 bar so intervals and injectors can cope with this.

Nick

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
Hmmmm.......a lot of electrical load there. Going to give a the alternator a hard time. A belt driven blower would be a better option (still driven from the motor but at least its directly driven rather than the engine charging the battery to power the electric blower and the losses involved...these cars are not known for the strongest charging circuits!!)...or better still a turbo conversion...which is using "free" waste energy. A quick google reveals that they dont get great reviews ...except from the manufacturer of course. The review below recons short term use....like drag racing is when they are most useful. Would not be for me for a road...but I will follow if you go for it....

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It does trick charge the capacitors in the 48V pack that seems to sit in the rear. They hold the charge and provide power 48V when needed. When drained, not sure of the run time, it would need to charge from the battery again. They are not designed, as per a normal turbo charger for sustained use, I think.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Youtube video of it tested in a 2.2 L Ecotec (Chevy Cobalt) with a few dyno runs. Around 20-30% gain in HP/Torque, with torque much sooner as expected from forced air.

It actually loses the engine around 10% when not running though, and I'm assuming that without some kind of bypass it would similarly affect your fuel economy, but maybe not.
They also seem to have the MAF sensor disconnected which I'm a bit concerned by.

It's more like £1900 as far as I can see, assuming you install it yourself for a pittance, let's say £2000, plus a trip to a competent tuner you might be looking at £2500ish, so EDIT: about a third of the price of the Autodelta mod (including installation).

Still quite expensive for 30-40hp. It does make me think that give it 5 years and this tech will be available for half the price and with a higher boost.

EDIT 2: I also hadn't really appreciated that it only boosts via a push button on a controller. I also wonder how it would play with the VVT. Probably not well. Probably needs to be about half the price and with some more sophisticated control equipment than just a "boost" button to be worth it.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was contemplating if there was a way to improve power in a normally aspirated engine in the most cost effective way but with a low down improvement in the power band.

Tubular manifolds with a sports cat, I think yield about 10bhp for about £1800 plus the engine has to come out so labour would make it prohibitive for me.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts