Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The new Tornado locomotive is due to make a journey from Victoria to Dover, this Sunday coming (Father's day). I think it departs from Victoria at 1800hrs. and is due back at Victoria at 2230hrs.
I only know this because I went for a walk last night, and came across a group of railway enthusiasts at an unmanned crossing. They were awaiting the arrival of the Tangmere (Quite special to see a steam train on a main line now), and it duly arrived - - - and went.:). I was armed only with a pair of binoculars (which were not required), so didn't get any good pictures, unlike the "spotters" who were fully "tooled up" with Canon EOS5's and the like.:(
Hopefully next Sunday I shall be better prepared.

R

·
0 Posts
Nice one, make sure you post lots of piccies for the errmm steam buffs among us :eek::lol:

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice one, make sure you post lots of piccies for the errmm steam buffs among us :eek::lol:
:lol:
You know you are a "closet" spotter Ray!;)
I have to admit, they seemed like a bit of a strange bunch, not forthcoming, I had to prise the information from them - as if it is normal to see a group of people with very expensive cameras, next to a railway line at 7.00 on a Sunday evening.:rolleyes:
I even thought that they may be feeding be incorrect information about the Tornado, so I checked it out - blimey, I must be turning into one of them!:eek::lol::lol::lol:

R

·
0 Posts
:lol:
You know you are a "closet" spotter Ray!;)
I have to admit, they seemed like a bit of a strange bunch, not forthcoming, I had to prise the information from them - as if it is normal to see a group of people with very expensive cameras, next to a railway line at 7.00 on a Sunday evening.:rolleyes:
I even thought that they may be feeding be incorrect information about the Tornado, so I checked it out - blimey, I must be turning into one of them!:eek::lol::lol::lol:
:lol: lets start a train spotters thread :lol::thumbs:

·
Registered
5,124 Posts
A guy I worked with at Coningsby used to get up at all times of the night to drive to obscure places to get pictures of trains. Things like getting the last train to leave a Coal Pit would get him scuttling off across the country. Nice lad, weird hobby.

R

·
0 Posts
I get bus spotters around here all the time, they are really bizarre they can tell you the chassis numbers and everything about the fleet.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I get bus spotters around here all the time, they are really bizarre they can tell you the chassis numbers and everything about the fleet.
I have a theory about all of this Ray. I think these are the very people who should be employed by our security services, because they are so intense and accurate about statistics, you would never doubt them. If you add to that, the fact that a lot of them obviously lack a good social life, and are very obsessed, you would never have to worry about loyalty issues, or taking too many "sickies".
Of course, I could be totally wrong, and they may just be a group of "nerds", who fantasise about public transport.:cheese::cheese::cheese:

R

·
0 Posts
I could be totally wrong, and they may just be a group of "nerds", who fantasise about public transport.:cheese::cheese::cheese:
:lol: I think thats more like it, I have even offered some of them a job but the look of horror suggests they like to fantasise about public transport and not work in it. :)

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
http://www.buszone.co.uk/Buses.html
You can run, but you can't hide from this lot Ray.:cheese::cheese:
This is what you are up against, the enemy. If you think ID cards could be bad, then think again, because people like this scare me!:wow:
At least we can hope that they will never procreate (I bet someone is going to tell me that I am avoiding the swear filter;)).

R

·
0 Posts
Rob's Bus Zone
You can run, but you can't hide from this lot Ray.:cheese::cheese:
This is what you are up against, the enemy. If you think ID cards could be bad, then think again, because people like this scare me!:wow:
At least we can hope that they will never procreate (I bet someone is going to tell me that I am avoiding the swear filter;)).
:eek: They really are scary people :)

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
I once worked with an avid twitcher who was, by day, an absolutely straight down the middle normal guy who was married/kids/mortgage, liked his footy, drank with us down the pub etc as if he was just a regular joe.

He did, however, have a fanatical birdwatching hobby and there were many days when he'd leave a message for me on my work phone from like 2.30am where a very breathless message would say that he'd been told there was a Lesser Spotted Newton's Grebe (or similar) available to see at a quarry in Northumberland (bear in mind he lived in Essex) and that he would be late into the office because he'd left home at 2am, would be driving 5 hours up to see it and then 5 hours back so would be in by midday and would work late to cover lost time.......

Strange breed these fanatical hobbyists. Not like us and our AR's..... No sir.

·
Registered
19,792 Posts
H

·
0 Posts
Tornado is a beauty alright, saw her at The North york Moors a few weeks ago on holiday.

She's also appearing in one of the feature races on Top Gear in this forthcoming series

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Is this the first steam train loco engineered in Britain since XX many years?
That's the one. If I was a train spotter, then it would be the most exciting thing to happen for the last hundred years, apart from a fleeting glimpse of 1105641 diesel (just like any other diesel), or something like that.:rolleyes:

N

·
0 Posts
I thought train spotting was now dead as it puts them into
conflict with the Prevention of Terrorism Act (2005) ? :confused:

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I love my trains.. I have you tube vids fomr SVR and take pics quite regular. I havent yet had the fortune to see tornado but hope to soon. I have just started to build an OO gauge live steam layout and also an n-gague coffee table...

Andi
I used to think the N gauge stuff looked really neat, but that was before I had to wear reading glasses. Now the OO gauge looks small.:(
I still have an old Hornby set somewhere in the loft, it was one of those plans about 30 years ago, when I said I would build a loft train set, but like all good plans ----------- ;)
My one regret, was selling all of the passenger coaches which I had lovingly built and painted - Great Western, LMS and Pullman, they would be worth a bomb now.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts