Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We all know they are prone to wear and quality items are essential. The life span varies enormously.

In my experience, TRW can last 50k or up to 7 years (whichever is first). Bad ones can be shot within a year or 10k.

Can anyone beat these figures?

·
Premium Member
2,115 Posts
We all know they are prone to wear and quality items are essential. The life span varies enormously.

In my experience, TRW can last 50k or up to 7 years (whichever is first). Bad ones can be shot within a year or 10k.

Can anyone beat these figures?
That's good going. I changed the ones on my 147 during it's first MOT and again about three years later and that was on 5-6k a year, rough roads up here. My 156 has just had a new set also so we'll see how that copes. Kudos to you for getting 50k, must be some sort of record.

:thumbs:

Reactions: Mighty-147

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
I've got almost 90k miles on my current set...

They were a "good used" set that Loz had on his shelf, he powerflexed them for me and fitted them.. Last time I was over in Oct they found that they've juuuust starting to get a hint of play in them...

No idea how many miles they did on the previous car before it got broken for parts... Must say I'm impressed that the balljoint is still in good nick!

·
Registered
7,379 Posts
Always a good idea to take the bearings out of the new wish-bone and put some more grease in there as there's a minimum present from the factories.

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
New world record!
I never thought about poly bushing them as I hear the aluminium wears also. That's why Febi don't supply bushes for them. They only manufacture.

It seems to work but I've heard of people having issues before that but I can't remember if it was ball joint or bush movement.

How are they for NHV? I did my rear hub bushes with red, I think, Polish made Strongflex bushes. I can tell there is a little more NHV since though.

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
New world record!
I never thought about poly bushing them as I hear the aluminium wears also. That's why Febi don't supply bushes for them. They only manufacture.

It seems to work but I've heard of people having issues before that but I can't remember if it was ball joint or bush movement.

How are they for NHV? I did my rear hub bushes with red, I think, Polish made Strongflex bushes. I can tell there is a little more NHV since though.
Powerflexed upper wishbones are one of those mega-common mods about here.. A lot of people will run standard (TRW/Genuine) arms until the bushes start to squeak, then fit Powerflex to get a bit more life out of the arms.

A touch more road noise definitely, but I can't say I noticed that much difference in harshness or vibration.

Lower wishbones tend not to be worth fitting polybushes to as the balljoint is usually on it's way out about the time the bushes are gone.. But the life of the upper arms can definitely be extended with Polybushes.

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you. I wish I'd bothered to find out before. It's probably also the cheapest way.

Now I'm kicking myself for fitting a Moog wishbone last year. 3 year warranty though.

What grease is best then, silicone or graphited?

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
I just changed the original lh upper wishbone in my 156 at 155,000km. Now the rh one has started squeaking so need to do that too at 160,000km. The replacements are Mehle brand I think - hope they last as long as the originals.

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Never heard of Mehle.

Mahle does engine components and filters.
Meyle does suspension components.

If the spelling is right, beware. It is exactly the trick ultra cheap knock-offs use to lure people into a purchase.

The only reason I'm giving Moog a chance is the warranty but experience suggests only TRW are really assured of long term performance.

Don't get me wrong. Many others are decent but only TRW do 5 years+.

I've fitted loads.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Another vote for TRW here. I put a set on my GT 3.2 not long after I got it nearly five years ago, and they are still going strong with no rattles or creaks. You get what you pay for.....

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
100k miles from TRW wishbones is the benchmark. That's impressive. What's the secret to getting so much? (other than avoiding roads which are unmaintained by the UK corporation).

·
Registered
697 Posts
Powerflex?... Polybushes?

Powerflexed upper wishbones are one of those mega-common mods about here.. A lot of people will run standard (TRW/Genuine) arms until the bushes start to squeak, then fit Powerflex to get a bit more life out of the arms.

A touch more road noise definitely, but I can't say I noticed that much difference in harshness or vibration.

Lower wishbones tend not to be worth fitting polybushes to as the balljoint is usually on it's way out about the time the bushes are gone.. But the life of the upper arms can definitely be extended with Polybushes.
Hello! I had new ones fitted in Dec..

Think they were TRW...

Can you tell me about 'Powerflex'
and
Polybushes please?

I might get that looked into later if ever here a squeak (which I didn't as needing a new one and an advisory last MOT was news to me.)

Is there a milage I could go by to look at swapping the bushes?...

Also - advisory was anti-roll bar... powerflex buses can be got for these too I believe?...

·
Registered
697 Posts
Chaps and Chapesses....

So I am in the process of having enough and putting together evidence to claim on various expenses due to Pot Holes....

Have I got any chance (may as well have a go) with regards to top Wishbones?
Cost a few bob and to get them fitted..

Any advice welcome!!

:hurt:

·
Registered
697 Posts
New world record!

WHAAATT?!

I had my ones replaced recently due to the Bushes - ball joints were relatively ok.

So I could've just gotten Powerflex bushes and had them fitted?!?!

Wish I'd seen this much much earlier!!! :curse:

What is NHV or what does it mean please?
:hurt:

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
NHV is Noise Harshness Vibration which is what bushes try to damp out and stop reaching the cabin.

Given what is posted here already and from my own experience, I won't try to fit poly bushes to anything other than genuine TRW arms.

I have the o/s/f top wishbone on the JTS now making noise. It's the bushes at fault. I'll go over the old receipts to see if it is a TRW. If so, I'll get bushes. If not, I'll get a TRW wishbone.

Generally, people have fitted Powerflex or Superflex brands. I had a look online and noticed a Polish company do all the bushes for these Alfas. Look for strongflex.eu (I've not posted a link).
I ordered and received bushes less than a week later. I fitted new front ARB and rear trailing arm to hub bushes.

No issues after more than 15k miles. Much cheaper than the other brands. I am using the Red ones but sister's 147 has the yellow ones and they don't appear to be harsh either even though they are motorsport grade.

As I'm doing 25k pa in the JTS, I think I'll soon know if Strongflex are good or not.

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
With regard to claiming for damage, bushes are rubber or upgraded to polyurethane. Pot holed roads cause them to degrade or wear faster. However, only a balljoint failure could be attributed to a single event (pot hole). The reason is balljoints are are metal parts encased in metal but with plastic bushes inside. When forces upon them exceed design limits, plastic bushes break or metal deforms and an instant single event failure results.

Rubber bushes just get steadily worse and it is perhaps not possible to attribute wear to a single event.

·
Premium Member
2,115 Posts
As Fruity said. My experience with this is that if they can wriggle they will. A mate at work lost two tyres to a pothole, when he complained and provided photos he was told that the local council had not had enough complaints about that particular pothole (no joke). He did get something in compo eventually but it took a LONG, LONG time and they would only pay out for the tyres. It's since been filled in with that high quality black plastercine which lasts a couple of days. :thumbs:

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for your input baxter2308. Also thanks for your links recently for parts. The prices are good.

Yes, Councils try to wriggle out everyway they can. They also use unlawful 'courts' to grant things like funds arrestment orders. Basically they use legal procedure to circumvent people's lawful rights. Anyway, enough said about that but the point I was going to make is my employers actually discount stuff for council employees!

(yes, I know there is a whole spectrum of people who work for local government and many are good, decent and very committed. I just couldn't resist seeing the irony)

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Mighty-147. Sorry, I missed some of your points. Yes, the anti roll bars can be poly bushed.

The front is a bit of a pig. I removed my bar to do it. Not removing it would be awkward as rivets through the bracket bolt holes to hold it together and must be drilled.

There are 2 ways to change front ARB bushes. Either drop the subframe (a bit of a pain) or I believe removing the lower wishbones give access. The downside to that way is the plastic washer to outside of the bush must be broken to slide the bush assembly out. Obviously something must then be done to restore a device to keep the ARB central. It may be a jubilee clip or simply Tiger Seal to bond the plastic ring back together onto the ARB bar.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts