Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey , I've not long purchased a a 11plate 159 2.0 Jtdm , just going through
a few things , power steering fluid is well below min , but its not coloured ?
seen posts about green or red but this is clear , wiped the dipstick with a white tissue
nothing .
what should i top it up with ?
cheers

·
Registered
193 Posts
Later model came with 'green stuff' from the factory, I believe. There is a sticker on your bonnet (on the inside of course), which will list te correct type.

That is very weird, that your fluid has no color. There is some hydraulic fluids, which are clear and odorless, but they are not meant for power assisted steering, at least not in these cars.

·
Registered
3,333 Posts
If it’s that low have a check around for signs of leaks particularly around the rack boots.
As for colour seems odd to not have any at all unless someone previous has been using something different in there like hydrex as that’s clear.

·
Registered
3,333 Posts
On an 11 plate I would be inclined to get the green stuff and do a full change as there is some confusion about what’s in there now.

baffled how it is that low with no leaks, think I would pull rack boots back and make sure they aren’t full of fluid

·
Registered
68 Posts
I topped up my power steering fluid with the green stuff 2 times and the red stuff 5 times all in the last week. This was before I got the broken steering rack replaced of course.

My local Alfa garage says go for Dex 2, usually red colour.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Looks like you have yellow fluid in there. Flush it and replace with the proper one.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Right , got a pipette and its a brownie / golden clear colour , what the hell has someone done ?

·
Registered
3,333 Posts
That’s just the green colour fluid discoloured with age. From memory system holds about 1.3 litres so 2 litres will be plenty to flush it out a bit and fill to the max mark

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just bought 2 litres of the good green stuff so my mechanic mate can sort it out lol , that's another thing he's roped into ! lol

1 - 17 of 17 Posts