Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been noticing a few spots of water at the bottom passenger side of the radiator for a while now, discovered its the top pipe where it connects to the radiator. Have replaced the clip with a proper jubilee clip and has helped to the point its not dripping, but there is still some coolant seapage if I run my finger around the bottom edge of the pipe.
Am pretty sure there is no split in the pipe, is there some sort of seal inside or is it all supposed to be sealed by the clip?

Thanks for any advice

Sent from my D5103 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
102 Posts
Been noticing a few spots of water at the bottom passenger side of the radiator for a while now, discovered its the top pipe where it connects to the radiator. Have replaced the clip with a proper jubilee clip and has helped to the point its not dripping, but there is still some coolant seapage if I run my finger around the bottom edge of the pipe.
Am pretty sure there is no split in the pipe, is there some sort of seal inside or is it all supposed to be sealed by the clip?

Thanks for any advice

My veloce 170 ma was leaking from the join, where the top hose connects to the radiator. At first I thought it was the hose, but had new radiator fitted under warranty, which sorted it. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok thanks hopefully doesn't need a new radiator, did they say what the fault with yours was? Can't see any sign of cracks in pipe or radiator

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Undo the clip, pull the hose off and clean the inside of the hose and the outside of the pipe, with a bit of Scotchbrite and washing-up liquid + water. If it was leaking for a while it will probably have left a crusty white deposit on one or both that will prevent a watertight seal. Replace. Make sure the hose is on fully, and the Jubilee clip is located where it will clamp the hose against the flange on the rad pipe.

edit: and don't use Radweld, it's awful stuff.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just gave that a go but the pipe didnt want to move, have put the clip back on will see how it goes. Should the jubilee clip be tightened well?

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Try some radweld, it worked well in my MGB, at last I have a dry drip tray!!
Please don't use Radweld, it was good in it's time but does it work with OAT technology? This is akin to cracking an egg into your cooling system and hoping it works. Just fix the cause not the symptom! It will save you a load of hassle in the long run.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Ok thanks hopefully doesn't need a new radiator, did they say what the fault with yours was? Can't see any sign of cracks in pipe or radiator

Sorry that's the only info I got when they pressure tested it, leak from top hose connection joint.

·
Registered
38,692 Posts
Please don't use Radweld, it was good in it's time but does it work with OAT technology? This is akin to cracking an egg into your cooling system and hoping it works. Just fix the cause not the symptom! It will save you a load of hassle in the long run.
Totally agree, it also restricts the diameter of the coolant passages. Some of which are pretty thin to start with.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Have always thought of radweld as a temporary fix although I do know someone who used it and was still fine 2 years later when the car was sold, wouldn't use it myself though.

refitted the clip making sure it was sat right and done up tightly about a week ago and so far seems to have stopped the leak, so thanks very much for all the help everyone :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts