Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On Top Gear on Sunday they said that Alfa currently only make Mito and Giulietta, is this true, what about 159 and Spider?

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
You won't get any petrol 159s in Poland (there are only 18 left) and 8C has finished production as well, but they should be still available from Alfa if you can afford one ;).

·
Registered
543 Posts
and worse of all 2014 before anything new, all that momentum in the sales goning to waste, well done Fiat. They moan about the lack of sales, Alfa build one which sells very well and they then pull the money, what a shambles

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
You make a beautiful car - but base it on GMs construction so it's too heavy. You give it some lousy GM engines as well. Then after a few years you decrease the weight. That's something. You wait a bit more and add a decent petrol engine. When the car is more or less mature then, you decide to cease the production without presenting the new model. Am I the only one to think it isn't the best way to treat this class by Alfa? Well, we'll have the new 3 Series this year for those who want sedans...

·
Regional Support, For South Scotland - AOSS
3,507 Posts
You make a beautiful car - but base it on GMs construction so it's too heavy. You give it some lousy GM engines as well. Then after a few years you decrease the weight. That's something. You wait a bit more and add a decent petrol engine. When the car is more or less mature then, you decide to cease the production without presenting the new model. Am I the only one to think it isn't the best way to treat this class by Alfa? Well, we'll have the new 3 Series this year for those who want sedans...
Yes, and seemingly it has some sort of 'trick' buttons that alter its driving characteristics - you've maybe heard of this sort of concept; a sporty mode, a normal mode and one for the winter? Brilliant idea - can't think why nobody's thought of it before! :rolleyes: :mad:

As for what you say above about our beloved marque, I couldn't agree more, :cry:. I was looking to change the 159 in early 2013 but it looks like that plan is well and truly scuppered if I'm to stay loyal, :rant:.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Alfa Romeo and Lancia have been so horribly mis-managed by Fiat, it isnt like these brands are weak either , they have a massive following and have huge potential, as well as a cache that some car manufacturers would dream of. I suppose at least Alfa Romeo havent starting passing off rebadged Chryslers...........Yet.

·
Registered
934 Posts
I think Fiat have botched Alfa's range for various reasons, but the plans for the future look good. Marchionnes has stated that Alfa and Jeep are the groups Global brands, now he need to deliver a range of cars from both to match that statement.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
No more 159, no chance of anything but base spec's in the UK certainly no TI's left for 6 months or so.

DNA is just a gimmick to get emissions down (emissions measured in N).

GM was a disaster, rubbish engines bad platform etc, the GM V6 replacing the Arese one was pretty much alfa religion blasphemy!

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
GM was a disaster, rubbish engines bad platform etc, the GM V6 replacing the Arese one was pretty much alfa religion blasphemy!
As a current owner of one of each, the new V6 doesn't deserve the bad press it gets. It's a very good unit & in most ways, better than the Busso (except for the looks).

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
No more 159, no chance of anything but base spec's in the UK certainly no TI's left for 6 months or so.

DNA is just a gimmick to get emissions down (emissions measured in N).

There was a black TI in my dealer when i was there the week before xmas.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Its a shame that Alfa does not have a complete range of models. Moreover there is a huge gap to launch the new models. I own Alfas since 1993 (33, 156, Giulietta) and i had never thought buying a car of another brand. Last year i had a unique "occasion-possibility" to buy a more expensive family car, but there was no 159 GTA in the market. Finaly i bought an M3 which is a fantastic car, but surelly if there was something similar, or eventhough "powerfull -sportly" family Alfa i wouldnt look for another brand!
Some times i am wondering if the solution of VW Group buying Alfa is not a god idea?

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Ive heard rumours from Italy that they are in fact continuing to produce 159s, however only in base spec 2.0 JTDm models. With the limited colour combinations. I believe that RHD production has ceased though. I think the smaller range is enough just to say that Alfa do infact produce a saloon in their range. However this is still a big issue for the brand...

Saluti, Giordano.

·
Registered
13,685 Posts
A salesman in a well known Alfa dealer (local) seemed to think there would be an interim measure of sorts. He could not say what exactly.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
A salesman in a well known Alfa dealer (local) seemed to think there would be an interim measure of sorts. He could not say what exactly.
Not sure about that? Did he mean another generation run of 159s like a trim update, just to refresh the brand until 2014? I don't see Alfa re-dipping in to produce a new engine or modifications.

Saluti, Giordano.

·
Registered
13,685 Posts
Don't know sorry, he would not elaborate, just said there would probably be a short term alternative.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Don't know sorry, he would not elaborate, just said there would probably be a short term alternative.
Hope the salesman is right :thumbs: the brand definitely needs something.

Thanks for the update :cool:

Saluti, Giordano.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts