Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

I am going to be doing my variator and so cambelt in the next few months as it is starting to get a bit diesely.

I would rather do it myself to save a bit of cash, but I will need a torque wrench (as someone half inched mine snap on one), the cam locking tools, and the variator removal tool.

By my reckoning that is somewhere in the region of £100 of tools on top of the £85 for a cambelt and tensioner kit and £95 for a variator. Alfa workshop will do the whole lot for £335, frankly for the extra £55 i would rather have someone else get thier hands dirty!

As such, Does anyone (ideally) in the west yorkshire area (or between leeds and Milton keynes on the M1) have all the required tools and fancy lending them to me? Obvioulsy i can pay for the loan........

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
I'm a bit far away, but:

1) torque wrenches are always handy, so think of this as an investment.

2) you can make your own variator removal tool, if you have some metal to play with

You can always use the cam locks again (or sell them).

·
Registered
38,905 Posts
A 10mm recessed spanner for the balance shaft belt tensioner (2.0 only)

A 15mm recessed spanner for undoing the auxillary belt fixed tensioner. It needs to be removed to get the cam cover off and the chassis leg gets in the way of a ratchet and socket.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
1) torque wrenches are always handy, so think of this as an investment.
Agreed, but this is the first time that i have needed one in 5+ years so dont really want to spend £20+ only for some scum to break into my garage and knick it!

EB Spares hire the cam locks etc don't they?
Where are these guys, cant find an address on thier site......

·
Registered
38,905 Posts
Oh and mines a 1.8, so looks like a pretty simple job. Just need the tools, just realised i need the TDC meter to drop in Cyl 1 too....
You can get a TDC gauge from Totally Alfa.

There is also a notch on the Auxillary belt pulley that lines up with a mark on the lower timing belt cover so that you can confirm you are in the correct place.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts