Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
156 2.0TS Selespeed.....

2nd gear has been a bit crunchy as of late, so i decided to change gearbox oil today....

Upon removing the filler plug from the gearbox, a large amount of oil came flowing out, nearly a litre i would estiamte.......

Questions are......

1, How the hell can you overfill the gearbox...

2, Can the fluid from the Selespeed system leak into the gearbox.....

·
Registered
30,017 Posts
Yes, that will be a Selespeed actuator issue.
Either a cracked body as above or a failed seal.

Either way it needs looking at asap.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Confirmed my theroie then........

it has gotten through 1 litre of selespeed fluid in the past 11 months, i've only covered 2500 miles, but 99% of those are short journeys.

which acuator do i need to look at, i am just about to take the battery and tray out.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
battery and tray off.

The suspect actuator looks like EV0, as that is the only one that is wet/damp with oil...
can i just undo the two torx head fixings on the actuator and remove it ?

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Can't answer that as I never did mine myself .

Have you tried a search , there's plenty of threads about sele's on here .
yes, i have searched, but it does not throw up the info needed, i just need to know if i need to depressurise the selespeed system before i remove the actuator fixings.

·
Registered
930 Posts
I Did mine a few weeks ago..

Make sure you depressurize the system before you do anything to it.

If you have MES: disconnect the Selespeed pump (located under the sele fluid reservoir, then connect MES, select your gearbox, then click on the accumulator depressurization procedure. I'd do it twice to be safe.

If you don't have MES: Disconnect Sele pump, turn ignition to MAR and select various gears until they no longer select.. wait 30 mins to be safe, then you can work on the system.

The system runs at 55bar.. which is very high - being a Big Girls Blouse that I am, I would check, recheck and double check that there zero pressure in the system before you go anywhere near it.

Otherwise its a very easy job.

The only headache for me was getting the torx screws back in as I didn't have magnetic tipped tools.. its a very tight space to work in.. Anyway I just used a blob of blutac.

Also, you can probably get away with just replacing the o-rings on the EV0, rather than the whole valve.

Here is a table i downloaded from this site (forget who made it) that gives you all you need... Make sure they are Viton Seals though.

In my case, I just replaced the seals, all works perfectly now. It should only cost you a few pounds.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/26761740/Alfa/oring_sele.pdf

To bleed, just refill with Tutela CS and run a clutch drain procedure in MES - again if you don't have MES, I don't know what you do, so you will need to look up how to bleed the system.

Good luck..

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So to check - it's failure of the EV seals that lets sele fluid into the gearbox?
I hope so !!!

On mine, the highest piont of the "wettness" is around EV0. so it looks like oil is passing over the internal seals and the one that seals the EV0 body.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update:

leak.jpg UPDATE:............

After cleaning the area up, i have found where the leak is presenting itself.....and its not from EV0 as first thought.

After cycling thru the gears a couple of times, a small drip of fluid can be seen in the area cirlced in the picture....

how would i fix this leak ?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts