Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well now, I've finally stripped the heads and here are some pictures of the sorry mess.

10 valve guides are cracked, 22 valves are bent (two got their heads knocked off during the removal process). RH Head needs a Heli-Coil for one of the cam cap screws.

EB Spares have quoted £750 for 24 valves, gasket set, cam belt, tensioner, two idlers, oil filter. Valve guides are £6 each (+VAT, I guess).

·
Registered
303 Posts
Aowwwch, hard to bear, reminds me of my Thema 16v turbo, when the belt let go at @130! Had to completely rebuild the engine, including crank bearings as they can take a right knock when it happened. Same thing can happen on alfa engines too! Are you going to rebuild the bottom end too as engine in bits already? Would suggest its a good idea, although even more expense!

·
Registered
11,050 Posts
Gosh that's not bent valves Ken they are crooked.

You are getting there tho.

Pomeo

·
Registered
110 Posts
That is terrible Ken - looks like it is about as bad as it gets.
If it was me, as the rest of the car is so good, I would try to find a pair of good used heads.
Bon chance - Good Luck as they say here.

·
Vendor
47,150 Posts
I agree with bww, used heads might be the way to go, or alternatively see if you can find a full engine. 3.0 upgrade? :hmm:

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Oh Ken as you took it apart it must have been painfull to see the damage underneath...Good luck with your project :)

·
Registered
Alfa 145, Spider, Chrysler Delta
7,120 Posts
Good luck with that. will be all the more satisfying when it roars back into life.

I think my PO went down the heads route and certainly would not have done the bottom end (did not even do the bearings :mad:) and the bottom end has been fine thus far.

Is there a prize for working out the 2 straight valves, :D I can work out which ones they are not, but not which ones they are.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts