Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Wasn't looking forward to today as I had an upper, lower wishbone and droplinks to replace on the 156. All the parts in garage apart from a few new nuts, so up early to dealers to pick those up (ordered over phone yesterday). Stopped off at Halfords for a few bits and home ....

Jacked up, axles stands, wheels off. Undertray (what's left of it) off.

Top drop link nuts off ... with no hassle ... :)

OK next brake calipers ... when I noticed a lot of oil (or so I thought) around the front wishbone mounting. :confused:

!?&^%*"%^$!^[email protected]!&!^%^! {Expletive deleted ... followed by several more}

The inner CV boot was completely ripped open ... not just a small hole, ripped all the way around. Only fitted them in May 2007 ... :rant:

Oh well, let's replace that lambda ... wouldn't shift! :mad:

Let's do the gearbox oil then ... filler plug out ... good! ... drain plug ... won't shift either!!! :mad::mad:

So my grand plan was reduced to ... an oil and filter change ... what a waste of a morning .... :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
 
S

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Thanks Gary.

You reminded me of why I don't do my own servicing any more.

Sorry about your wasted morning - but at least the weather was fine.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
19,119 Posts
Just done my wishbones and front shocks. 1 side took 3 days (evenings) the other side took 3 hours!!!! What a lovely week it was. I feel your pain.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,801 Posts
I did the shockers and wishbones last week. I figures 4 or 5 hours MAX!!

Fronts took 6 hours..... rears I did on Sat.... 5 hours. The transformation is awesome.
Dropped 35mm on Eibach sport kit.

I have a LOVE / HATE relationship with her. Hated the 11 hours of cursing and losing skin..... but love the drive now she's sorted.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
After some searching managed to track an inner joint kit down (ebay £39.99). My local motor factors wanted £73 but didn't have one in stock. Promised to call me back to say if their suppliers had one ... as usual ... no call. So no for you business then!!

The shocks are on the to-do list ... as are rear transverse arms, etc. My plan was to fix the obvious, take her for her MOT and see what else they pick up on. The front shocks are pretty bad (don't bounce, but I think they're well shot) but as they don't road test now, they are not likely to "feel" it. No leaks, etc.

Joss/Prof: How did you both get on with the hex clamp bolt that holds the fork to the shock?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
19,119 Posts
Thats what took 3 days on the one side. I ended up cutting the side off with a grinder up the middle as someone before me had very helpfully rounded the hex out. The other side though was simpler. Soak it WD40 either night before or as you start the job to give it time to sink in. Before you put the allen key in to undo it, clamp the head of the hex bolt with a pair of mole grips (Thank you SEARs for the tip). As tight as you can! This will stop the head flairing and rounding out. After that it should come straight out. Use a large screw driver to separate the forks clamp around the shock to help free it up as the shock is pretty well welded to the tuning fork. Don't forget a bit of copper slip when you put it back together on the shaft of the bolt. It'll make it easier when you come to do the shocks next time. :p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well after the false start last week, tried again on Saturday. As the inner joint was split made things a bit easier as I was able to take the hub, driveshaft and upright out in one piece which meant putting the new lower arm back was so much easier ...

In the end took the strut out as well to see if I could replace the lower tubing on the spring, but gave up after winding my spring compressors for ages as the spring didn't seem to compress!! But I did find the Eibach logo and part number on the back ... paint work on spring is in pretty good condition, but the rubber tubing is just falling off. So I will have to have another go at another time.

Anyway top and bottom arms swapped, new droplinks both side and new inner cv joint. Took ages to tighten up the 6 hex bolts at the gearbox end ... and not the easiest to get to as the subframe is in the way. 6mm hex/allen and 13mm open ended spanner on nut.

I also tried the gearbox again after investing in a set of sump plug keys ... the Laserline set of 5 in halfords. That meant I could put a long 19mm ring spanner on the key and get some purchase on it .. in the end the sole of my right boot! Undid with a 'crack' so don't think that had even been out before. I took the one out that is below the diff as the other one is impossible to get too ... 1.9 litres of Tutela ZC75 fully synth back in.

Still can't get the lambda out ... even bought a long 22mm ring spanner. Just can't get enough weigh on it ... even the "sole of boot" trick failed and I just slid back across the garage floor!

So let's see how the MOT goes .. then I'll decide about lambda. Would be useful to get it done as it's a universal Bosch sensor (as per their catalogue) and only cost £54. Comes with a wiring block and you reuse part of the old loom and connector. But I didn't want to mess up the wiring to the old one until I was sure it would come out ... I may ask the MOT garage to see it they can loosen it for me while it's on the hoist.
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top