Alfa Romeo Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,754 Posts
I agree....but I usually find those smaller sellers not too far off big sellers price and if you talk nicely they will usually match the big boys or can get close enough....and often, as they are local, delivery is not charged for....bought a fridge freezer from a local Bognor dealer this way only a few weeks back. A lot of local sellers form a buying cooperative to buy in bulk to get the big players discount levels...Euronics is an example.

·
Premium Member
77,344 Posts
Our food supply system is agile, responsive but brittle - we don't grow enough in our own country.

It gave us cheaper groceries than our grandparents could ever dream of - and a vast array of options.

All our dreams came true.

·
Vendor
45,453 Posts
Our food supply system is agile, responsive but brittle - we don't grow enough in our own country.

It gave us cheaper groceries than our grandparents could ever dream of - and a vast array of options.

All our dreams came true.
And it made us fat & sick. Not sure what point you were trying to express in your post - we couldn't feed ourselves 100 years ago either. We actually COULD now as yields have increased massively with modern fertilizers but what Britain has lots of that we don't make as much use of is pasture, of little use for agriculture but great for livestock. We could have ten times the amount cattle & sheep we have now if we wanted to, there is the room for them. The economics aren't there right now - its cheaper to import what we need. But if food prices rise worldwide or the pound falls enough or (shudder) we implement tariffs on imported food then it might become cost effective to farm in the UK on a bigger scale than we do now.

·
Administrator
45,306 Posts
I try to buy locally where the opportunity presents itself. We have a local 'gentleman's outfitter' which has been here for over 100 years. They sell very good but unfortunately therefore rather expensive clothing. I've bought a couple of coats there though, and the odd shirt.

A few years ago when using a local tyre fitter, I mentioned an online price and asked if he could get closer, and he went off on a foul-mouthed tirade about online tyre sales. Strangely enough, he lost me as a customer. I was using ATS instead until my last tyre change where I used a different local company and was extremely pleased with their service, so back to local for that now too.

Things like blinds, fireplaces, windows and doors - almost always better off finding a recommended small local company too, and we have done so in all those cases since moving house.

·
Registered
33,710 Posts
I’ve been visiting a sports physio for the last month or two for my back but yesterday managed to do it all by FaceTime. Weird but it worked and he still gets his fee. I hope there are others able to keep the money flowing.
Car servicing is being arranged as a non-contact setup now too and considered essential, especially if mot is still being policed.

·
Registered
6,633 Posts
A lot of local sellers form a buying cooperative to buy in bulk to get the big players discount levels...Euronics is an example.
The company I referred to is a Euronics member

A few years ago when using a local tyre fitter, I mentioned an online price and asked if he could get closer, and he went off on a foul-mouthed tirade about online tyre sales. Strangely enough, he lost me as a customer. I was using ATS instead until my last tyre change where I used a different local company and was extremely pleased with their service, so back to local for that now too.

Things like blinds, fireplaces, windows and doors - almost always better off finding a recommended small local company too, and we have done so in all those cases since moving house.
I use a small local tyre company. Just a three-person business, prices within a quid or so of the big boys & usually an interesting car or two to look at while you wait, even if it's only their Evo V rally car. Other car jobs which I can't be bothered to do myself (most of them nowadays!) are done by Phil next door but one - a one-man business who's never needed to advertise but is always busy. Windows, doors, etc, Bomber at the end of the road.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts