Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im trying to decide if i should tint my Brera or not. I dont want it to look like a pimps car,im in my 50s,also,dont want it to look like a boy racers car (no offence to boy racers).
I cant seem to find any decent pictures of black Breras to help me decide.
So what im looking for is peoples opinions on what i should do.
Help!!!

·
Registered
4,802 Posts
You can get varying levels of tint, if you go for something around 50% it'll be more of a Smoke effect

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
+1. I've been thinking the same about my SW. A little can go a long way. Do it. It's easy enough to take off if it looks ****e

·
Registered
90 Posts
if you go limo black, itll look like a van. had it on my black corsa years ago, and it really did look like there were no rear windows.

what i have on my current brera is dark on the back three, and light on the front two.
believe dark is 20%, light is 50% and limo is 5% light transparancy.
the dark lets light through in the daytime, so it looks smoked. classy imo.
the light front tints in the daytime are almost as if its not tinted. at night, the whole car looks dark. the fronts let enough light through to make out shapes, but you cant tell faces. the back you cant see through.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think i will go with your idea Samisnake, Sounds about what im looking for. I will try and get in booked in this week and will take some pictures when its done.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Pfft!?!!? As if that's a question??? :)

I reckon there's no choice. Tinting always makes a car look great!

Of course in Australia you MUST have tint or else the car's too hot.

Here's some pics of mine - decide for yerselves. Mine was already done when i bought it, but based on all the other cars i've had, this will be "darkest legal" in Oz (whatever that equates to % wise...)

Attachments

·
Registered
368 Posts
Did my 159 recently, rears only, not the fronts.
Nice job generally but rear window heater wires do show through which is unavoidable. Pleased with the result though, looks nice. You should do it.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Tints always look wrong. The car has a nice side profile that contrasts glass and metal. If you make one glass black (because you can't legally do the fronts) it messes up the design. Keep it clean with balanced glass.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I have booked it in for next tuesday. Going with a company called Globaltints UK. Im having the rear and side lights in what they call Luna and they are going to put a legal tint on the fronts.
Also,got the car booked in the following day to have the wheels refurbed.Just ordered some nice new centre caps to finish them off.

P.S oziGTV Like the pictures,thanks for that.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It was a company called Global Tints.As to the actual tint specs,not sure but the rear and quater lights are called Luna and the fronts a legal tint.

·
Registered
57 Posts
It was a company called Global Tints.As to the actual tint specs,not sure but the rear and quater lights are called Luna and the fronts a legal tint.

Looks good , just need to get them calipers painted red , them front windows look quite dark to be honest ? or is it just the angle of the photos ?

i want to get my 159er tints slighlty darker

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Global Tints charge £168 for all five windows,including VAT. They also come out to your home or work address to do the job.Also give you a life time warranty.Sounds like i work for them but just really impressed with there work/service.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Those fronts look too dark to be legal in those photos. If I was you I'd try to get them checked with a light meter, or if that's not possible get something in writing from them saying they're legal as they look good for a pull-over from traffic.

I'm planning on going limo black to the rear of mine, just because I do want to look like a 50 year old pimp!

Attachments

·
Registered
90 Posts
not to be a nitpicker, but there isnt a 'legal' tint on the front side windows.
https://www.gov.uk/tinted-vehicle-window-rules
light tint has a VLT (visible light transparency) of 50%, and the uk limit is 70%. seeing as most cars are already factory tinted to at or near that already, anything other than a clear film is 'illegal'.

global tints have given cutesy names for what is essentially light (50% vlt), medium/dark(35/20% vlt) and limo (5% vlt).
on their site Tint Generator | Global Tint they call light Twilight, medium/dark (its hard to tell in the photo, could be either depending on the lighting, but im assuming dark) Luna, and limo is Onyx.
they dont seem to offer a clear film (pointless anyway imo) so the lightest they offer is light/twilight @ 50% vlt, which is technically illegal.

but what it comes down to is whether youd get in trouble for it. when i had my corsa done, i was told light was legal because noone would know its tinted! i had medium fitted on the front 2 and limo rear as i wanted it to look tinted. never had an issue. on my brera, i have light on the front, dark on the rears. technically illegal, but with it so lightly tinted you are highly unlikely to have an issue.

ive waffled a bit here, but to give a comparison, its like the HID threads that say AFTERMARKET HIDS ARE ILLEGAL YOU WILL BE ARRESTED AND SENT TO A FORCED LABOUR CAMP. ive had them on every car ive owned, and never had an issue. same with 'illegal' tints. but those front tints are definitely not 100% legal.....from a literal interpretation of the road law.

that said, the car looks lovely!

my tinted brera Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

1 - 20 of 21 Posts