Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
15,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you are on here, you know who you are. It was at MOD Abbeywood roundabout at 3:15 this afternoon, and I was the chap in the very big van that you decided was in the wrong. If you cannot read the road signs and the painted lane markings on the road before stamping on your horn making out I was in the wrong, that isn't my fault!

:mad:

Whoever you are, you really fricking infuriated me. Next time, open your ****ing eyes and make sure you are in the correct lane for the exit of the roundabout you intend to take. (I mean, the fact that you were in the outside lane approaching the first roundabout, and then switching lanes like a ******** behind me as we approached the M32, it would suggest what little you know of how to drive on a public road).

:rant:

·
Registered
694 Posts
I'll give you a tip, never try to come out of the Sainsburys car park in Middlesbrough and turn right to join the A66 Westbound. You'll explode in rage.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
I have to say that the road markings and general layout on that particular roundabout leave quite a lot to be desired. In fact the same is true for a lot of the roads around Bristol.

·
Registered
15,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have to say that the road markings and general layout on that particular roundabout leave quite a lot to be desired. In fact the same is true for a lot of the roads around Bristol.
I disagree. The lane markings are very clear IMHO. I start off in a lane that I need, and the markings follow round to where I need to be exiting.

But above all that, driver awareness and anticipation should be used in conjunction with road signs and markings. Something the twit yesterday was completely lacking.

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
I disagree. The lane markings are very clear IMHO. I start off in a lane that I need, and the markings follow round to where I need to be exiting.

But above all that, driver awareness and anticipation should be used in conjunction with road signs and markings. Something the twit yesterday was completely lacking.
Not commenting on that roundabout in particular, but in general I agree with the view that road markings in Bristol are rubbish.

·
Registered
943 Posts

I don't know the roundabout you are talking about, but from my own experiences I've got a feeling you're probably spot on here.
There is a roundabout near to me which is often cited as being confusing or unclear... with the resultant accidents seemingly backing this up.

Except that, to me, it is perfectly clear, the lane markings are straightforward and the only problems I have, are with people ignoring/not understanding the lane instructions on the road or reading what is going on around them.

Not only do people seem unable to follow lane markings, they are equally unable to cope with getting themselves out of a problem situation without causing more problems to themselves and others.

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
plus general common sence on roundabouts.

left lane for anything upto 12 o' clock
right lane for 12 o' clock and after

and in the case of a three lane entry the center lane would be 12 o' clock (straight over)

its not hard, some people are just completly ignorant to the rules of the road altogether.

i had to explain (quite abruptly) to someone that came from the left of me, that they have to give way to the people on the right, right after he gave me abuse for not stopping:rant::mad:

steevie wonder school of motoring:rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
plus general common sence on roundabouts.

left lane for anything upto 12 o' clock
right lane for 12 o' clock and after

and in the case of a three lane entry the center lane would be 12 o' clock (straight over)
Maybe, but the problem with a lot of roundabouts in Bristol is that the lane markings contradict the highway code :(

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
Maybe, but the problem with a lot of roundabouts in Bristol is that the lane markings contradict the highway code :(
in which case you follow the lane markings:thumbs:

again, not hard;)

no markings, normal highway code rules apply:thumbs:

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
in which case you follow the lane markings:thumbs:

again, not hard;)

no markings, normal highway code rules apply:thumbs:
But, where the lane markings are not clear and in contravention of the highway code, it is likely to cause problems. There's one with 4 lanes on entry for example. Approaching the roundabout, lane 1 & 2 are marked straight on, 3 & 4 are marked with right arrows. Straight on is a dual carriageway. Which lane do you go in to turn right? (and you don't have sufficient visibility to work it out in advance) :confused::confused:

Yep, that's right, you need to go into lane 2! The straight ahead arrow turns into a right arrow as you get onto the roundabout. But by then it's too late as there's an island between lane 2 and 3 which prevents you changing lanes. Lanes 3 & 4 then take you back the way you came! If you can negotiate that succesfully just using highway code knowledge and lane markings then you're an absolute, genius, or Derren Brown! :lol:

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
But, where the lane markings are not clear and in contravention of the highway code, it is likely to cause problems. There's one with 4 lanes on entry for example. Approaching the roundabout, lane 1 & 2 are marked straight on, 3 & 4 are marked with right arrows. Straight on is a dual carriageway. Which lane do you go in to turn right? (and you don't have sufficient visibility to work it out in advance) :confused::confused:

Yep, that's right, you need to go into lane 2! The straight ahead arrow turns into a right arrow as you get onto the roundabout. But by then it's too late as there's an island between lane 2 and 3 which prevents you changing lanes. Lanes 3 & 4 then take you back the way you came! If you can negotiate that succesfully just using highway code knowledge and lane markings then you're an absolute, genius, or Derren Brown! :lol:
sounds like cornwall and their twin and tripple roundabouts in st austell, now there ****** brilliant:lol:

·
Registered
5,120 Posts
Magic roundabout in Swindon, Bloody brilliant.
Just close your eyes and put your foot down.
The amount of Japanese, I assume that they are at the Honda Factory, that sit there looking petrified is funny, especially when you around the wrong way which is normally quicker than going the right way!
Local roundabouts are a nightmare if someone who is not used to driving on them, I regularly enjoy forcing people to go around again as they come up the inside thinking they can gain an advantage.

·
Registered
187 Posts
"I regularly enjoy forcing people to go around again":lol::lol:
nice one:thumbs:
sometimes you've just got to get your own back, it does wonders for relieving stress.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I'm working at ABW at the moment and the fact that they've coned off various lanes on the roundabout has made erratic lane changes worse. If I'm not in or haven't seen an accident by the time they've finished the bus lane, I'll be very surprised...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
15,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm working at ABW at the moment and the fact that they've coned off various lanes on the roundabout has made erratic lane changes worse. If I'm not in or haven't seen an accident by the time they've finished the bus lane, I'll be very surprised...:rolleyes:
Nice first post, welcome to Bristol :lol:

·
Registered
764 Posts
I don't know the roundabout you are talking about, but from my own experiences I've got a feeling you're probably spot on here.
There is a roundabout near to me which is often cited as being confusing or unclear... with the resultant accidents seemingly backing this up.

Except that, to me, it is perfectly clear, the lane markings are straightforward and the only problems I have, are with people ignoring/not understanding the lane instructions on the road or reading what is going on around them.

Not only do people seem unable to follow lane markings, they are equally unable to cope with getting themselves out of a problem situation without causing more problems to themselves and others.
I agree with that 100%. The problem these days seems to be that the powers that be seem to have taken away the skill of anticipation and replaced it with road markings and traffic calming systems, whilst teaching people that they need to follow these to the letter. The thing with this approach is that when people do get it wrong they don't have a clue what to do.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts