Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday on the way home I spied the familiar shape of the Aston Martin Vantage politely waiting to join the road from a side street. I slowed down a gave the drive the familiar flash of lights and with an "alfa" wave encouraged him to join the traffic. I wound down the window to listen to the wonderful sound of what I discovered to be a v12 Vantage S in a deep graphite colour... Mr A Martin didnt disappoint tickling the thottle every now and again. Now unlike most super car owners this guy was a gent. stopped to let me catch up with him whilst he let not 1 but several cars turn right across our flow of traffic, i then surfed the sound wave behind this amazing car for a few miles until at a roundabout the road opened up.. with a flash of my headlights the driver mashed the throttle to the carpet and the sound that thundered and then screamed back towards me was nothing but astonishing... he kepted it pinned for about 8 or 10 seconds at which point he was becoming a smaller and smaller sollouette of the form I had been following but the sound was still aweinspiring.. So at the end of a busy day, whilst driving my Alfa I was treated to the visual and aural wonder that is Aston Martin V12 Vantage S.. Thank you Mr Aston Martin driver for letting me in to your exclusive world for just a few moments and "driving it like you stole it!!!".............. happy dayz......

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
Fab car, had a sit in one at my local dealer, sadly it felt like it was made for me, I've never sat in a car that felt so right just sitting in it.

Driving position was perfection.

·
Registered
13,685 Posts
:thumbs:
As I was making my way to vote last night I noticed a 911 pull out behind me. He as it turned out was going to vote too. As he joined me in the queue at the polling station just behind I commented on his nice car.
On the way out of the car park he gunned it, lovely noise indeed :)

Reactions: stevepx

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
One of my neighbours has just bought a new Bentley GT Convertible, that sounds rather tasty too, refined then gutteral.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know what you mean GhostyDog. I had the pleasure a few years ago in a V8 Vantage, just wonderful.. How they managed to shoe-horn the V12 lump under the hood is remarkable.

MalcQV..Sometimes these guys are actually really nice and like to talk about their "toys" however more often than not they are very pompus and stuck up!! and feel even discussing it with mere mortals is beneath them.. that annoys me no end!! so your Porsche guy and my Aston guy are certainly high up in my estimations..

·
Administrator
46,101 Posts
When I had the Vantage N400 roadster for a weekend a couple of years back, there was a point where I was tootling through town. I turned only a steep uphill, and pushed the throttle a little further to take account of the gradient.
It was literally minutes after taking delivery though, and what I didn't know was that:
1) The throttle had very little travel in it
2) If you hit the pedal stop, the car would instantly kickdown to the lowest possible gear and give out a roar that split the heavens.

Man it sounded nice, but was a slightly inappropriate place to do it - turned a few heads!

I have to admit that I've never driven a V12 engined car. But I find it hard to believe there's one that sounds any better than the two V8 engined Aston's I've driven (one from 1981, one from 2009). Man, I love a good V8.

(Porsches on the other hand, I can't stand the noise they make. Sound like they're broken. Clattery horrible things!)

·
Registered
24,536 Posts
I got to drive a V8 Vantage, N400 convertible and a DB9 at Prodrive's test track last year and I have to agree, the experience and the sound was unforgettable. :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts