Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here's the dilemma. A year ago I saw my first ever Alfa for sale on eBay at the end of its life. I'd always missed it so i bought it for 200 quid. In fact I'd sold it 4 years previously and it had been abused ever since. It's a July 1998 Alfa 156 V6. I first bought it from the original owner at 41k in 2010 it's now done 72k. I have every bill from new, a huge stack including the original bill of sale. Since then I've had a new clutch fitted but the car really is in need of full restoration.

It needs a cambelt, the front suspension is shot and it's needed welding on every MOT since 2009. So scrap it right?! Buy another v6 prices are still low compared to other busso Alfa's after all. Last June against the odds it passed an mot, the mechanic MUST have been an Alfa nut, it's a mess! June is coming around quickly, the battery has been dead for 6 months.

So, do I spend 1.5k to sort it out against every logical thought. That's a new bathroom! Or end the romance and move on, find one in better condition more worthy of the love but without the memories. I'm stuck so over to you guys, please vote yes or no. I'll then add the answers up from now until next Saturday, then my Alfa's fate is sealed. Attached is a pic from a Europe road trip 5 years ago.

Attachments

·
Vendor
47,164 Posts
Having done a similar restoration recently, I think 1.5k is being optimistic.

However, it is absolutely worth doing. Its an original, low mileage early 156 V6 with full history and low owner count. It might not be worth much now, and it won't be worth what it owes you when you're done restoring it, but you'll be able to get a good few years driving out of it and at that point it'll owe you nothing and be worth considerably more.

If you scrap it, you'll be kicking yourself in years to come. Sure you can always buy another, but it won't be your first. If you don't want to spend the money now, find somewhere dry and put it away.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
I have to agree with Pud. Ive always been a great believer in " Better the devil you know " As you can always end up buying someone elses troubles.

I would try and diy as much as you can. and as for welding get it done then give the whole under car with under seal, As the welding shouldn't be a yearly thing if done right.

get an MOT done see what it needs buy 2nd hand parts and fit your self and then return to garage for the things you cant do and then stand back and be proud :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Better the devil you know, and if it brings back good memories when you drive it, it's worth every penny of it's restoration cost.

·
Registered
40,074 Posts
And if you do decide you want rid, I am sure someone here would want it.

Certainly better than seeing it scrapped.

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
Keep it, fix it and enjoy it. Or regret it

·
Vendor
47,164 Posts
There will not be engines like these again, that alone warrants them all being saved. Its a family saloon car at the end of the day, but with an absolute masterpiece of an engine. These days, what are the choices in a similar car? small diesel. big diesel. small turbo petrol. big turbo petrol. All just a point on a scale somewhere between best fuel economy and best outright acceleration, but completely devoid of character from one end to the other.

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
There will not be engines like these again, that alone warrants them all being saved. Its a family saloon car at the end of the day, but with an absolute masterpiece of an engine. These days, what are the choices in a similar car? small diesel. big diesel. small turbo petrol. big turbo petrol. All just a point on a scale somewhere between best fuel economy and best outright acceleration, but completely devoid of character from one end to the other.
couldn't agree more :)

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
You cannot scrap it for that. As many others have said these engines are a piece of motoring history. The v6 engines will only go up in value.

What actually needs doing suspension wise?

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts
Keep it, fix it.... I am a sentimental idiot, so my advice is probably something to go on :yes:

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Wonderful car but don't kid yourself there is any financial reward in keeping it. It's not going up in value any time soon.
Let it go, let it go, let it go....

·
Registered
8,919 Posts
You will be amazed how rare these are getting now. You'll kick yourself if you get rid.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

·
Vendor
47,164 Posts
Wonderful car but don't kid yourself there is any financial reward in keeping it. It's not going up in value any time soon.
There might not be a financial reward in the short term, but if he fixes it up and uses it for a few years it'll cost a few grand to do so. But in a few years time, it'll be worth at least £3-4k, so basically it will cost approximately nothing to own & drive a 156 V6 for a few years as outlay will be recouped upon sale. Low mileage, low owner, good condition original examples are making £2k already, with interest rates so low anything interesting, old & rare is shooting up in value.

You will be amazed how rare these are getting now. You'll kick yourself if you get rid.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk
Just over 500 156 V6s left taxed, thats saloons and Sportwagons but not GTAs according to How Many Left.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Value is not going to rocket but over the last 2 years there has been a steady increase in prices for 3.2 v6 engines.

Scrapping for some suspension work and cambelt makes no sense.

If you can't justify the repairs then Sorn it. Unless you break it yourself you will get no where near its value by scrapping.

·
Registered
300 Posts
There might not be a financial reward in the short term, but if he fixes it up and uses it for a few years it'll cost a few grand to do so. But in a few years time, it'll be worth at least £3-4k, so basically it will cost approximately nothing to own & drive a 156 V6 for a few years as outlay will be recouped upon sale. Low mileage, low owner, good condition original examples are making £2k already, with interest rates so low anything interesting, old & rare is shooting up in value.

Just over 500 156 V6s left taxed, thats saloons and Sportwagons but not GTAs according to How Many Left.
Also I'm sure a welded car with no rust and proper rust proofing on top of that will be very attractive to future buyers if you decide to sell. I think structural rust is the biggest thing that puts people off, even if they are doing mechanical repairs themselves. It's just too big an investment to get welding for many.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts