Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Following the aux belt failure and subsequent cam belt slippage head has now been removed.

All the valves have hit the pistons!! especially the inlet ones which have made a significant dent in the pistons about 4-5mm deep the exhaust ones have only just touched the pistons. Strangely I still have compression on 3 of the cylinders so assume the damage was gradual rather than sudden as rather than bend the valves the pistons have been dented.

I assume as the timing belt do not break but slipped this allowed more damage to occur.

Now the $64,000 question - is it worth repairing it with such significant piston impact? I will replace the bottom end shells as well.

R

·
0 Posts
Seems strange that you still have compression after all the valves have hit. Not sure what to advise, depends what it'll cost you and what your gut feeling is. If you love the car, fix it. If not, don't bother. I'm sure that's not too much help. Sorry :(

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi, as I was going through the forum pages yesterday, I came across someone who said you can get a rebuilt engine, fitted for approx £1100. Unfortunately I cannot remember which of the 36 pages I went through had that information but, I am sure it was from someone answering a cam belt / timing belt query. If I didn't imagine it, it may be a cheaper option than having your current engine repaired.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts