Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well after finishing work on friday, i was in abit of a rush to get home and get some beers in side of me, so when sitting at some lights waiting for them to change, the moment they changed to green i gave it some welly had abit of wheel spin with the cold temperatures, and then a big bang happened and i lossed all drive :eek: oh ****!!!!!!

after looking over it ive realised ive smashed my differential

so to anyone who has a 2.4 JTD which has been tuned up, please be very careful not to break your gear box like me.....

the last time i had it dynoed which was about 2 months ago, it did 178 bhp at 4250 with 283 lbft at 2750rpm , and i did abit more tinkering after that, so im guessing 190bhp and 300lbft:thumbs:

anyone got a spare gearbox they dont want :cry:

·
Registered
11,591 Posts
I was under the impression that even the standard amount of torque from the JTD 2.4 was almost at the limits of the Gearbox/diff capability.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
AFAIK this differential is the same as the ones in GTAs, all V6 engines (except GMs) and JTD 8V and 16V...

They are known to be a bit fragile. If you will replace it buy a Q2 which should be stronger.
BTW, ask Autolusso, they could have the gearbox for you, or fix the broken one...

B

·
0 Posts
Already happened to mine ,had a recon G\box from Alfa & a new Turbo, as in new not re-con just after the re map.Next week its having its 3rd clutch but this time its uprated & a new DMF.

Then I'll start again .:)

·
Registered
Giulia Quad, Cayman GT4, Cayenne Turbo
23,458 Posts
AFAIK this differential is the same as the ones in GTAs, all V6 engines (except GMs) and JTD 8V and 16V...

They are known to be a bit fragile. If you will replace it buy a Q2 which should be stronger.
BTW, ask Autolusso, they could have the gearbox for you, or fix the broken one...
I don't think the Q2 fits his gearbox. I think the only option is back to stock or get a quaife.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There is only one Q2 diff!:)

are you sure????? you most proberly know better than me, but i thought they didnt different sizes to fit each box.... and i thought the v6 and JTD may have the same and the twinnies have a different one

but then again i could be completely wrong and they are all the same just like you said:thumbs:

·
Registered
30,246 Posts
are you sure????? you most proberly know better than me, but i thought they didnt different sizes to fit each box.... and i thought the v6 and JTD may have the same and the twinnies have a different one

but then again i could be completely wrong and they are all the same just like you said:thumbs:
There is only one and it is a 16v JTD part.
It just happens to also fit the V6 box (and 10v JTD, etc..).

There isn't a Q2 for the TS/JTS at all.

·
Registered
38,932 Posts
The ring gears on the diff will be different, but then you swap the gear over from your existing diff..

Hence it will fit other models.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
There is only one and it is a 16v JTD part.
It just happens to also fit the V6 box (and 10v JTD, etc..).

There isn't a Q2 for the TS/JTS at all.

well thats good enough for me, looks as i might be getting one of them then

ALFIGT :- dont be worried about getting a remap, you will be fine with it, its just im abit nuts and push mine very hard hence the breakage, plus i blame my tyres, very are BRILLIANT in dry warm conditions, but when its cold and wet they have NO straight line grip at all , and is realy embarassing on how bad they are, so when pulling away i usualy get alot of wheel spin which is most proberly making the planet gears in the diff work overtime, and with 283 lbft of torque isnt realy good for the diff when one wheel is spinning and the other isnt :tut:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts