Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all I'm just after some opinions really. I've got a '97 Phase 1 GTV 2.0TS with just under 40K on the clock.

I've been browsing away on these forums seeing some pretty nifty little mods that can be done. Everything from new exhaust sytems to body kits etc. I'm completely torn between a bit of modernising (new exhaust/wheels/painting the black skirts) or keeping her in all her original beauty.

It seems with a low milage, full service history and generally good nick (a couple of scuffs from previous owner to sort out but nothing major) that it'd almost be a shame to change it.

Cue purist vs modernist argument but opinions are much appreciated.

Cheers

Dave

J

·
0 Posts
the eternal argument.....

Personally i would mod, BUT, the mods would be in keeping with the car, so maybe a nice performance exhaust, some referb'd teledials, a sports suspension kit and take care of the niggles with the body work, maybe add a P2 grille, clear side repeaters and keep everything else nice and clean and tidy.

I am a great believer in the 'less is more' philosophy the subtle mode are sometimes the hardest but the most effective :thumbs:

·
Registered
53 Posts
I think it depends on how long you anticipate keeping her for. If you imagine selling her on in the next 18 months then keep her relatively pure.

If like me you plan on keeping her for a few years why not stamp your own taste on the car? Sometimes in life we must follow our heads over our hearts, but with GTV ownership let your heart go wild! :D

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
I'm not into any bodykit on a GTV, or 99% of aftermarket wheels, but a better sounding exhaust or Teledial 17" wheels would only improve your car, and painting the lower black parts of the car should be a must for every Phase 1 owner! :)

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Jay you make some good points but I reckon its a really fine line to tread between subtle enhancements and really changing the car. It's a toughy. Definately agree on the less is more philosophy though. Its just wrong to chav up this car! There is no way I'd go over the top.

Billy as it stands I'm looking to hold on for a fair while (haven't had her long though!). It is nothing but a weekend car really. Can't park at work so its there for fun alone. Means I can keep the milage down and enjoy it for what it is. I reckon classic status is fast approaching with these cars which is one of the reasons why I'm a bit weary about changing too much.

J

·
0 Posts
well the 1st thing i would do is get the sills done and then P2 grill but in your case with the exeptionally low mileage maybe you have a potential collectors item there?it could be one of the lowest P1 mileages,iv not seen lower so maybe its worth keeping it original and just concentrate on getting her in prestine condition. Everyone goes for the grills,exhaust,air induction, so maybe yours will turn out to be one of the only non-modded ones! Just my thought!

D

·
0 Posts
Personally I recommend every time you think 'Oooh, I'll buy that body kit for £600!' buy something performance related instead mate. Tyres, exhaust, induction, remap etc etc.

The GTV Twinny can be easily tuned to around 180BHP with a few odds and sods as far as I can remember so I'd do that instead, :thumbs:

So, in answer to the question, mod the hell out of it but only performance wise, :D

D

·
0 Posts
bob

darren has got it spot on, dont change the appearance, u wont improve it. with only 40k on the clock and with a fsh your engine is perfect for tuning:thumbs:

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
I have a P1 2.0T.S which apart from a strut brace is original.
I keep thinking about modding it but i see P1's about with later grille's and colour coded etc and i think it's a P1 why make it look like a later model.
I admit that i want to change the wheel's, which i shall do soon and i like the idea of a sport's exhaust etc, but as for appearance i prefer the P1.
i'm with Darren all the way :thumbs:

D

·
0 Posts
I had a 1997 P1 GTV Twinny and it did have the 16" Tele's from a P2 as well as the grille, but that was all, and the car came to me like that. Here's a quick snap of it:

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc69/darrenedwardparke/GTV26-1.jpg

I quite like the black side skirts because when you dress them they come up a treat and look really intense, :lol:

The 15" wheels the P1 came with are too small in my personal opinion, BUT a decent second hand set of P2's can be bought for around £100 or so.

·
Registered
111 Posts
It all depends on personal choice but a modded car will always be worth less than a standard, classic example in the long-run. My old man drive as Mk1 Golf GTI cabriolet which is in great nick an low milage, totally factory standard and he has people leaving notes under his wipers saying 'If you ever want to sell this call..... It's so hard to find unmodded examples' and so on.

Totally agree that nicer (Alfa) wheels are a great mod, but I've not modded mine at all because I'm perfectly happy with her as she is - if you're not, and you can see subtle things you can do to improve it, then go fo it! I reckon making the decision to own an Alfa is something you make with your heart, so if a few mods are going to make you happy, why the f*** not!

But once modded, it's going to be damn hard to restore to original should you ever want to do so.

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
I had a 1997 P1 GTV Twinny and it did have the 16" Tele's from a P2 as well as the grille, but that was all, and the car came to me like that. Here's a quick snap of it:

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc69/darrenedwardparke/GTV26-1.jpg

I quite like the black side skirts because when you dress them they come up a treat and look really intense, :lol:

The 15" wheels the P1 came with are too small in my personal opinion, BUT a decent second hand set of P2's can be bought for around £100 or so.
Phase 1 in uk came standard with 205/50r16w tyre's, 15's were for 1.8T.S in Italy and a few other market's.
I realy like the black skirt's and they do come up a treat.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I would say go with yer heart! I started thinking I would do nothing to mine but once i started doing little things it's now out of control!!!

I don't think I'll stop modding mine until I sell it. However, I will never stick on goofy bodykits, crappy aftermarket wheels or that kind of thing, only something in line with the original design such as zender kit or 17" tele's, 18" bbs ch. So far I have improved induction a little and fitted performance cat back exhaust. Have also fitted nicer lights and smoked indicators (nice against black or silver paint).

·
Registered
112 Posts
Modding is fun in small doses. Mine came with the cup kit on it (apart from front skirt)

Aftermarket wheels are all good IMO as long as they dont look like they have come off a 17 year olds corsa. Alfa cup side skirts and spolier are the way to go.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,575 Posts
I bought my ph1, with skirts and front splitter already painted, i have to say i prefer it to
standard blk skirts, other than that it has an uprated exhaust and springs and clear
repeaters.
I would like spacers for the rear wheels (standard 16's) just to make them fill the arches better.
I am keeping the standard ph1 grill as i think it looks better.
any other mods will be under the skin:cool:

·
Registered
125 Posts
Must agree with most on here, if you are going to mod it, make sure its simple and complements the original look of the car - Alfa/Pininfarina know how to build a very pretty car and few manage to improve on that!

Saying that, I did add clear side repeaters to mine and rather nice, but simple, exhaust system - made a lovely sound and helped performance due to it being free flow.

Stick with original Alfa design wheels where you can, unless you can afford the BBS CH rims - rather expensive but my god do they look good!!!

Cheers

J

·
0 Posts
One of the things i wouldn't do is paint the sills, like Darren i prefer the black of the P1's and when detailed they look good...

that said i understand why people do paint them, it gives the car a lower stance

1 - 20 of 36 Posts