Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My wifes Lexus IS 220d came back on Friday after its 30,000 service. It's an 07 and bang on 2 years old now with the following advisories:-

Slight sweat at water pump
O/S/R caliper siezed
Front discs 25.6mm - min recommended 25mm
Sluggish below 2000rpm - advise check EGR valve (I mentioned this to them at 15K, but what do I know:rolleyes: . . .)

Any of these sound familiar?????:p

So I can hear her now - had this been my Alfa she would be going nuts (she is at the mo but it's 5 years old and done 61K). Thankfully hers is leased and under warranty but just shows that these things are happening to any car. I am let to believe that most European cars are having real bother with EGR and DPF as well as flywheels. Don't hear them reported do you :rant:

Oh - and it too only does around 32-34 mpg.

·
Registered
809 Posts
.....just shows that these things are happening to any car..... Don't hear them reported do you :rant:
To be fair, you don't hear any horror stories on (for instance) Watchdog about Alfa(s).

I can remember hearing stuff about...

VW. Coil packs failing and electric windows lowering themselves while your parked up.
Peugeot. Spontaneously combusting, while sitting in the garage.
Ford. Power steering Relay fault, that appear on the EU made cars, but Not USA built ones.

And Loads of others.

Can't recall Alfa being mentioned though.

B

·
0 Posts
To be fair, you don't hear any horror stories on (for instance) Watchdog about Alfa(s).

I can remember hearing stuff about...

VW. Coil packs failing and electric windows lowering themselves while your parked up.
Peugeot. Spontaneously combusting, while sitting in the garage.
Ford. Power steering Relay fault, that appear on the EU made cars, but Not USA built ones.

And Loads of others.

Can't recall Alfa being mentioned though.
That is true, but somehow it doesn't seem to make it into the consciousness of the Great British Public. :)

·
Registered
17,217 Posts
That is true, but somehow it doesn't seem to make it into the consciousness of the Great British Public. :)
agree. who needs facts when you have preconceptions? :)

·
Registered
19,680 Posts
you must have the only dud lexus they ever built :rolleyes:
Nah, have you ever checked out the Lexus owner's forum? Lots of EGR, tyre wear, rattling trim and other posts. The only difference is the service from Lexus dealers is absolutely superb (I have even heard one story of them supplying a BMW part that BMW couldn't get to a customer who was in for a look because he was fed up with the quality and service from BMW).

·
Registered
19,680 Posts
I'd lay money that if the 2.2 engine hesitation problem had been on a Mondeo then it would have been all over the consumer media.
Rather spookily I was talking to an friend of mine (he used to work for Ford) who had a Mondeo 2.0L out as a hire car last week and he complained about a huge hole in the power band at low revs that nearly caused him to have an accident on a roundabout. He kept having to dip the clutch and rev the engine after he pulled away. He was seriously unimpressed with the car.

·
Registered
19,680 Posts
I don't think it's so baffling. Think of the variables that an engine has to cope with in terms of environment, fuel quality, driving style, driving environment etc. I think it's natural to an extent that a whole lot of problems are going to come out when a car is released for sale across a continent. The other thing is these early problems will be less when the manufacturer has a huge development budget; something, sadly, Alfa do not have at the moment.

The same friend, who is a mechanical engineer (engineer, not mechanic) was the one who advised me never to buy a new model just released onto the market. It's advice I intend to follow.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Rather spookily I was talking to an friend of mine (he used to work for Ford) who had a Mondeo 2.0L out as a hire car last week and he complained about a huge hole in the power band at low revs that nearly caused him to have an accident on a roundabout. He kept having to dip the clutch and rev the engine after he pulled away. He was seriously unimpressed with the car.
I guess these things are sadly all too common. I am totally baffled how any manufacturer Ford, Alfa whoever, can produce a car and let it out into the wild with defects like that :confused:
Don't know if this applies, but I'm not so sure this would be a design "Flaw" as such, or rather part of the design.

Bear with me for a bit...

Traditionally Bikes have a huge "Hole" in the power curve. They are usually desined this way to meet noise restrictions. It's the reason you see so many bikes with loud (Aftermarket) exhausts. Not (although certainly sometimes) because the owner wants to be a louder, but because the after market system removes the dip in the power curve.

I had a 2.0 Mondeo Zetec (before the 147) and I got to say it was a very nice drive indeed, can't remember a "Hole".

1 - 16 of 16 Posts