Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
considering doing a drop of 30mm as i think the car sits to high, shocks are new so it will just be a spring change.
pro's and con's please?:thumbs:

·
Registered
39,044 Posts
Pros: looks better, better handling.
Cons: cost, potentialy worse ride, worrying about speed humps, extra insurance.

G

·
Discussion Starter #3
Pros: looks better, better handling.
Cons: cost, potentialy worse ride, worrying about speed humps, extra insurance.
simon, have been quoted 300-350 for parts and labour, not a bad price?
speed bumps dont exist in milton keynes most have gone, i am just a bit wooried about the harshness of the ride?

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
I have the eibach pro kit on my 156, the ride is better, main downside is not being able to drive up steep driveways and scratching the underside bumper getting on ferrys and other steep inclines/declines.

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
personally wouldnt recommend it - its low and hard enough as it is. Also you messing around with the fine tuning of the passive rear wheel steering im sure.

·
Registered
39,044 Posts
simon, have been quoted 300-350 for parts and labour, not a bad price?
speed bumps dont exist in milton keynes most have gone, i am just a bit wooried about the harshness of the ride?
For that price you won't be getting very good dampers or springs.

A set of Eibach springs on its own is £250 or so. And I wouldn't consider fitting much else TBH.

If you fit eibach springs along with Koni or Bilstein shocks you will probably find it rides better then standard because the car as standard is quite crashy.

G

·
Discussion Starter #7
the dampers are new oe, so i thought 300-350 was a fair price for the springs, the gtv's have to much off a gap from the top of the tyre to the wheel arch.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I'd say go for it, I lowered mine by 30mm with PI springs (never heard of them before) which only cost £110, it was a gamble but they not only make the car look better but also have improved the ride, it was much harder on the standard springs.

·
Registered
39,044 Posts
Paul if you are going to lower it I would go with the Eibach Pro kit springs.

They will work ok with the standard shockers if they are in good condition.

I think they give around a 20mm drop, but if you go lower then that you may be making the original shockers work outside of their normal range of movement.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
With my different front bumper and splitter I'm acting as a slush plow alright. Still recommend lowering though but cant say for sure on a GTV.

G

·
Discussion Starter #13
just looking at eibachs at the moment, the rears i could change myself so that would save some money, but i wont touch the front.

·
Registered
39,044 Posts
The fronts won't be too bad. It is only 3 M8 bolts at the top and 2 bolts at the bottom holding the strut to the hub.

You will either need a set of long spring compressors or 2 sets of regular length ones to compress the spring as is it very long in an uncompressed state.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I put Eibach on mine but everything else pretty much standard, including the 16" wheels. Works well and looks OK. I kept the 16" wheels because they use higher profile tyres, more suitable for our roads! The drop with Eibach is 20mm

·
Registered
187 Posts
the only probem with putting lowering springs onto standard shocks is that the shocks wear out quicker than if standard springs were on, but as its only a 30mm drop it shouldnt be too bad, i was quoted £150 for a set of 35mm apexi springs

G

·
Discussion Starter #17
will order the 30mm and do the work myself, i have all the tools and i have the loan of a fiesta for a couple of months so i can take my time and it will be nice to do some work on it myself.

·
Registered
7,765 Posts
Considering the topic of suspension upgrades has been discussed to death on this Forum, I am surprised at some of the replies to this thread.

Some facts:

1) The Eibach Prokit springs lower the 916 Alfas by 20mm. They are acknowledged as the best you can buy. If you go into the Eibach website the price should be around £179, retailers charge roughly the same.

2) Do not, I repeat, DO NOT lower your GTV by 30mm, even by 20mm, and retain the OE shocks. Lowering the car will result in them operating outside their effective range, will result in them wearing out more quickly, and will give a less than satisfactory ride.

3) Best shocks are Koni Sports adjustables, or Bilsteins, choice is yours.

But cutting corners by putting cheap springs on your GTV and actually buying the dreadful OE shocks is probably the worst combo you can come up with imho.

·
Registered
871 Posts
After having a lowerd Gtv, I would lower anothor one, the ride is not that bad, and you won't really notice aassive difference, only thing that was a pain I had 17" teles and on the rears it scrubed on inner aches over heavy cornering

that's the only thing that was the down side,
on the up side looked better, handeled better

1 - 20 of 27 Posts