Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there!! I wonder if you guys can help me!! I'm a huge car enthusiast, and am currently involved on the VW scene. I've been a fan of Alfas, Lancias et al for as long as I can remember. Basically, I'm thinking of selling my VR6 golf in the near future, and to help fulfil a dream, I'm thinking of buying a 156 GTA!! I was wondering if you guys could give me a rough guide on how much these beasts are to service etc...I hate to say cost is a factor as to what car I choose, but I'm afraid it has to be!! I'm much obliged for you're help, and I hope to become a GTA driving member very soon!!
Cheers!!

·
Registered
549 Posts
You GTA, of course :thumbs:

I went from a Corrado G-60 to a SW GTA myself - not a VW man though, just in it for the Corrado which stays because it's so much fun. Don't know about the UK price levels, but I doubt a GTA will cost you that much more to own than a VR6. Just do it, it'll be heaven after the Golf :)

DJ
--

·
Registered
313 Posts
you must gta, i love the sw but they didnt come to australia which is a let down. servicing an alfa probably wouldnt be much different than servicing the new r32 golfs, just that the alfas need a little more tlc. needs to know about alfas are oil to be checked and possibly topped up fornightly, belt changed every 3 years or 60,000kms and on the gta definately change the diff to a Q2. good luck and get one already...

·
Administrator
46,139 Posts
There's a truly excellent GTA buyers guide on here if you do a search.

E

·
0 Posts
General servicing is not bad at all, like all 156 though the wishbone bushes do wear, as do the rear suspension arm bushes. So try and find one that has had this done recently or listen for klonks and squeaks and use it as a bargaining tool. As said the Q2 differential is a must have upgrade and relatively cheap.

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
Cambelt waterpump etc change will be about £700
Fuel, depends on how you drive, but I get 30mpg...some people get 15mpg.

Smiles per mile = Lots & Lots

·
Registered
7,669 Posts
Not having owned a GTA (although I have owned other V6 Alfas in the past) I did get the opportunity to drive a 156GTA with Q2 last weekend. It was one of the most enjoyable motoring experiences I have ever encountered. The experts here will advise further I'm sure but if you're seriously considering it then at least try one first - you will be hooked!

I'm not saying the R32 is a bad car. It is clearly a superbly competent car. But with the GTA you are entering the realms of sensual and aural delight that a VW can only dream about, although I daresay it may be possible for a VW to match this in another world or in another dimension.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Had a bit of a contest with a R32 the other night -

It got spanked in all acceleration/cruising and top speeds

On an empty motorway of course and only for a few miles

Nothing at this price beats a GTA sele for desirability

·
Vendor
46,135 Posts
If I had a choice I would choose Selespeed for a GTA, over a manual box. :cool:

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
cheers for you're help guys!! I'm gonna take the plunge and get 1 then, but I'm not gonna rush, so can and will wait for the right one!! Watch this space!! I'm guessing GTA's didn't come with a Q2 as standard then?

·
Vendor
46,135 Posts
cheers for you're help guys!! I'm gonna take the plunge and get 1 then, but I'm not gonna rush, so can and will wait for the right one!! Watch this space!! I'm guessing GTA's didn't come with a Q2 as standard then?
No, either find a GTA with a Q2 already or budget £500 for fitting one, make sure its the first thing you do when you buy the car, they are mint and they protect you from the failure of the standard car's weak differential. Blow differntials have been known to take out whole gearboxes.. :eek:

When fitting the Q2, it would is an ideal time to uprate the front anti-roll bar, and also if you did it at the same time it would knock a couple of hours off changing the shocks and springs for something like the Koni FSD/Eibach pro combo..

·
Registered
604 Posts
GTA all the way, the sele I have was my first sort of auto box (no clutch for first time!) and believe me no regrets yet.

Just a different drive to anything else out there. Even enjoyable on the idle at the traffic lights. I personally hardly use the Bose sound system it comes with. The sound of the v6 is soooo creamy. Right I better stop before this turns to an 18 rated post. :)

Get a GTA

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Dont think that you must find a GTA with a Q2 or that you must budget for getting one fitted. The Q2 diff is a desirable upgrade that makes a great car even better.
Finding one with 330 mm brakes would be a higher priority for me if I was looking for one. Buy one based on history, condition and then upgrade as funds allow.
I have lived with and loved mine for 2 years now without Q2/FSD's etc but now that I can afford to upgrade the car I will (and looking forward to it - a lot:) )

1 - 16 of 16 Posts