Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys,
I've been suffering from a fluctuating engine idle-speed; this occurs all of the time but is worst when the engine is cold. To cure the problem I have stripped and cleaned the constant idle speed actuator (solenoid with electrical connection that sits between the engine cam-cover and the steel intake pipe on the RH-side of the engine). When I reassembled this I made sure that the spring preload on the piston inside the valve was the same as when I took it apart but.. when I put everything back together things have actually gotten worse to such an extent that the engine dies if I'm not careful!

Has anyone got experience with this problem? Should I take it apart again and try to apply less spring pre-load to the piston?

Also,
Juan, I just came across your thread about the wooshing sound when you remove the cap from your fuel tank. I have the same symptom too! Did you manage to fix yours in the end? I don't think mine is right since I also struggle to fill up the tank if I push the nozzle right in. I think that there is a blockage or something in one of the vapour lines and this is thus preventing the tank from being filled at full pump speed. Steve, Andreas, have you experienced a similar problem? Any suggestions?

Many thanks,
Taddeo.

PS Do widebody Q4s have the water-spray on the intercooler? I had a look and couldn't spot anything obvious.

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Obviously not a Q4 owner but this may help........

TAZ:
When I reassembled this I made sure that the spring preload on the piston inside the valve was the same as when I took it apart but.. when I put everything back together things have actually gotten worse to such an extent that the engine dies if I'm not careful!
There is a lot of good stuff on www.gtvv6.com about this. One guy did the same as you and found the same symptoms, he kept readjusting until it was right..........least I think it was the same bit!!

the wooshing sound when you remove the cap from your fuel tank. I have the same symptom too! Did you manage to fix yours in the end? I don't think mine is right since I also struggle to fill up the tank if I push the nozzle right in.
I think this is fairly normal. The "whoosh" is the pressure from the tank. I also sometimes have problems filling up, I just pull the nozzle out a notch. In fact I've got used to just using the first notch on a nozzle as a guide.....no smutty comments you lot :p

PS Do widebody Q4s have the water-spray on the intercooler? I had a look and couldn't spot anything obvious.
Have you got the "famous" plastic bag in the boot....dunno apart from this.

wrinx

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ah, Senior Wrinx
I shall try and have a look at what you suggested. With regards to the fuel tank, the carbon canisters are meant to be able to soak up between 1.3 & 1.5 times the volume of the fuel tank so that all of the fuel vapour displaced by a refuelling event is stored for purging once the engine is running. The whole idea behind the system is to prevent it from escaping to atmosphere thus limiting pollution. This is why I thought it odd that I cannot fill the tank at all when I jam the pump in the filler neck and trickle the petrol in! I never had such a problem on the twin spark before.. I assume that alfa would not use a different system for a different vehicle variant since they are quite expensive to systems to implement. Any ideas of what might need changing on our cars since I'm not too familiar with the plumbing of the system on our cars. Anyone got a drawing of it or something?

With regards to the water-spray.. I ain't got dat bottle in the boot :( Ah, I suddenly feel like I've been short changed! I guess that I've paid the price for wanting a wide-body Q4.. Well, I at least have avoided those electric dampers!!! :D

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry, forgot to ask.. how long ago did you see that similar posting on GTVV6?

Cheers,
T.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh, btw.. I just thought of another oddity.. When I turn the ignition key to position I (i.e. instruments light up but engine not turning over) there is a whirring sound for 10 or so seconds coming from the passenger footwell behind a black cheap-looking plastic cover just underneath the glove box. What the 'eck is it and why is it so buggerin noisy? I used to have a similar box on the TSpark but I don't remember it making such a racket! Could it be something to do with the A/C unit???

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
TAZ Check your inlet manifold gaskets for air leaks and the air pipes for small splits

The symptoms your describing sound like it`s sucking in air on the inlet side of things which causes the uneven tickover especially when cold as everything swells slightly when warm and closes the leak slightly

Best way is to use some carb cleaner and spray it aorund if it`s drawing air the engine revs will rise :D

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
TAZ:
Oh, btw.. I just thought of another oddity.. When I turn the ignition key to position I (i.e. instruments light up but engine not turning over) there is a whirring sound for 10 or so seconds coming from the passenger footwell behind a black cheap-looking plastic cover just underneath the glove box. What the 'eck is it and why is it so buggerin noisy? I used to have a similar box on the TSpark but I don't remember it making such a racket! Could it be something to do with the A/C unit???
Do you mean the heating fan?

wrinx

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dunno really.. it is about 12" long and about 3" wide has only two screws securing it to the footwell. The plastic shell is kinda round in shape.

PLS Let's not have a giggle at the size of my whatever it is doofer ting!

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Also,
Juan, I just came across your thread about the wooshing sound when you remove the cap from your fuel tank. I have the same symptom too! Did you manage to fix yours in the end? [/QB]
Hi TAZ...the problem in my case was simple: a dirty fuel filter...

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ummm check the small plastic hose that runs to the back of the inlets - actually there are a 3 I think so check them all :) they are great at going hard & just being able to slide on & off, they do some of the control (by vacume) for the management.

a

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Taz, the wooshing sound happens on my car too. As Wrinx says, you have to pull the nozzle out a bit.

Marlon

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Right,
Here we go..
Juan, I had the filter replaced 4 months ago so that leaves me at a dead end. I guess I should check that this was really changed although I do trust the guys who did the work.

F2G, the vacuum hoses at the back of the intake manifold are still soft and very rubbery; they look like they're going to be good for another while!

Marlon, I've had to resort to doing what you say but I was just wondering if there was a solution since I am very environmentally conscious (says he who is going to replace 2 catalytic converters with a straight through tube!!! :D ).

I shall have a play tomorrow and let ye all know!

T.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts