Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, my 1999 156 2.0 Selespeed SP3 has been assessed for insurance repair for damaged caused by a big tractor at a Safari Park!

I have been offered the choice of a repair, or a £1995 write off settlement.

Now I am in two minds over this, I really don't know what to do!

The engineer who assessed it agreed that it was in very good condition for its age and agreed with me that it was a tricky choice. Do I get it repaired, and keep living with it, or accept the 2K and go shopping for another one.

I have found adverts ranging from £700 to £2750 for one similar in age to mine, but obviously in varying ranges of repair. The book price for buying one is around the £1000 point, or about £450 as a trade in against another car. Problem is, this is well below what you need to pay to get close to the condition of mine.

I have found some adverts for similar cars at £2300 and £2500 so I going to try and negotiate towards these figures

What would you do?

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
i am in this situation as well right now. my coop was written off recently and i was offered a not unreasonable £2800 but have rejected thier first offer as have found other cars with more miles and less service history,in not such strong colours selling at above that price. they apparently can't give you a lower offer than the one they've laready extended, so i don;t see why you shouldn't wait and see. if you're in no paticular hurry and the details are easy to settle, then send thier offer back saying that your car was in such and such condition, which is atypical of a car its age and it (hopefully) has below average miles with a (hopefully too:) ) full service history. include examples of sales adverts of other cars in higher price brackets in worse or similar condiiton...and wait and see...you've nothing to lose except time..

·
Registered
26,529 Posts
You know the cars history Andy. Is it worth the repair, will you miss it if it goes ? Can you buy one in the same nick, with the same history ?

I'd hate to be in that position, I know I'd be offered a lot less on mine than I thought it was worth !

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It is worth the repair, but I do eventually want to get a newer car, if I take the money, I can live with one car for a while and then buy newer when I need or fancy another car again.

It really is a dead heat at the moment, I am going to talk to the chap today armed with my £2500 request, will see how it goes!

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
See if you can accept the offer (obviously barter them up as PG says) and keep the written off car, then get it sorted yourself (cheaper) ... not sure how much you'd have to pay them for your written off car with the price of scrap at the moment, but a couple of years ago one of my mates SRI's was written off for a scratch on the bumper, he took the settlement AND they gave him the car (he needed to get it re-MOT'd for legal reasons ..)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think the offers quite good, but agree that you should never accept the first offer. Push for £2200 mate.

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
I had similar with my 146 recently, also a tractor......I didnt want the insurance company anywhere near it as they would have written it off so I fixed it myself. The way I looked at it was that I knew the car, I knew that everything had been done to it, incl engine rebuild and I could not be sure that even the most expensive one on the market would be in the same mechanical condition as mine.

And anyway, she is my car and no-one was taking her off me :lol:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Listen, I once got a Lada Niva off the hook :lol: - always be prepared to argue the value of your car with them.

·
Registered
11,591 Posts
unless it is a minor accident I suspect that it will never be the same.....If it was repaired especially if the front end was involved I would be unloading it as soon as repaired.
I realise this story is not exactly comparable to today but...
Way back in 1979 I had a new Alfasud Sprint Veloce 1.5 which after 4 days I plowed into the drivers door of a Porsche 924.
The front end was completely replaced under insurance and after 5 months I got the car back..."Good as new'
I removed the dash, easy in those days to fix a squeak and found that the panel under the windscreen was buckled from the accident . I traded the car in imediately....

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just had a chat, I have accepted £2100 as a write off value, the chap I spoke to said that if the value went any higher it would have to be repaired instead as the percentage of the settlement figure was near to the economical repair value.

I don't want the car back to fix as it is due a full big cambelt service in December and and needs a new exhaust as well. If I bought it back for say £300 and spent say £1000 on parts, paint, shell straightening etc. Then another £500 on a cambelt service and then another £250 on an exhaust I've spent over £2000 anyway.

Plus, my wife quite correctly remarked that this is the third big back end collision that the car has been in! She isn't feeling confident that all that repair work is going to be as safe as it having never been straightened before!

I have negotiated to keep my car until the other party accepts responsibility for the accident so I don't have to lose out on my £350 insurance excess. It seems this could take longer as the accident happened on private property at a safari park.

I shall miss her, but I have at least another month or so to 'enjoy' her! I have 8mm of brand new Toyo rubber to wear down on the front wheels in that time!

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
Have you got any pictures? Someone may be interested in having it off you damaged so they can repair

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hit once before I bought it, shown in documents. Hit once at a roundabout when the girl behind me arrived at said roundabout too fast to stop in the rain and punted me out into the roundabout, and once hit from behind by an armour plated tractor, when stationary, while waiting for a camel to cross the road at a safari park! Its just the way it goes! I'll get some pics up when I get a chance.

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
Aye! If you can still drive it, isn't it a "goer"?

How much did they want for the wreckage?

Ralf S.

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
You interested too Ralf?? :lol:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts